Your best picnic food

jennyb

Über Member
Local time
6:37 AM
I am probably silly to plan a picnic for the August Bank Holiday given the weather in the UK but we are going to take my daughter and my grandson on a summer picnic. So I'm looking for ideas for some special grown up food as well as some child friendly food. All ideas are welcome!

@jennyb

Suggestions:

Great Baguettes .. Or any other freshly baked (Bakery) breads that you like ..
Roast Chicken sliced into parts for easily handling .. or grilled boneless chicken breast cutlets.
Lettuces of choice and tomatoes ..
Dijon or other mustard that you like ..
Sliced roast beef or turkey breast .. For baguette sándwiches ..
A quiche which can be eaten at room temperature or cold ..
Red and White endive & fennel salad ( carry a bottle of Evoo and Vinegar of choice )
Tinned Albacore White tuna fish or "bonito " in Evoo with a new closed jar of Mayonnaise ..
A bottle of Prosecco or Cava or other Sparkling Wine in an ice chest ..
Cocktail Prawns which can be served with a quick cocktail sauce or drizzled with Evoo and vinaigrette ..
A cold Pasta Salad.
A cold Potato Salad.
A cold Coleslaw ..

The key is simplicity and ease. Sándwich ítems are easy as everyone can eat what they like and prepare their own ..

Have a great picnic .. and lovely weekend ..

I realise that it's not necessarily relevant to this thread but I'm sure our Stateside members will recognise that Haslet is also a city in Texas.

A selection of nice sandwiches, cut into quarters or fingers.
Mini quiches and sausage rolls
Pork pie
Scotch eggs
Dairylee triangles (memories of childhood picnics)
Fruit
A bottle of something fizzy.
The secret of a good picnic (in the UK) is that everything should be finger food, no messing about with cutlery. That way, when it starts to rain you can eat it in the car.

Cheese pie is a good favourite too as far as I am concerned. I did take some chicken curry on a picnic which went down rather well. A nice thick curry, with rice and salad, all packed in separate containers, with some flat breads and a supply of spoons, although probably not child-friendly unless they are used to eating it :whistling:

When we used to go rabbiting (before the myxomatosis outbreak in the 1950s), it was fresh made sandwiches and beer (proper beer in bottles) all the way, even for the kids. Could you imagine that now?

Ditto on the Quiche. So versatile.

This takes a little time to prep but is a great picnic, cookout side or a dip.

Black Bean Salad

Dressing

3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp. fresh, minced Cilantro (use Parsley if you are one of those who finds Cilantro taste like soap)
Pinch of fresh ground pepper
1/4 Tsp. sea salt

Whisk until incorporated

I like to make salad dressing in a Mason Jar. Just shake, shake, shake.

Salad

2 15 oz. cans Black Beans - drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can whole kernel white corn - drained
8 green onions thinly sliced
3 Jalapeno peppers cored and minced
1 red OR yellow OR orange bell pepper - cored and diced
1/2 Red Onion - diced
3 cloves garlic - smashed and minced
1 Pkg. each red and yellow grape tomatoes - cut in half length wise.
1/2 cup fresh Cilantro - chopped (parsley if you don't like Cilantro)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Toss

Add dressing and toss again.

Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

Toss before serving.

I make it in a large plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid. Just flip it a few times and every thing is mixed.

I make this when we all get together for a family cook out. My crew likes it as a side and as a dip. Their favorite scoopers are Fritto Scoops and Tostido Scoops.

Enjoy your outing!

Back
Top Bottom