Your childhood

Ok, ok, that was The Partridge Family.

Would you believe I had a brother named Wally, and my parents were June and Ward?
Early childhood picture from the family album?
bucky tom the rabbit.jpg
Who are Tom Hiddleston and Sebastion Stan, and what's this about a love triangle?

You mean one hundred thousand pounds? Could be right, if so. Depends on the number of bedrooms. location, etc.

When we lived there (up and untill '66 I think) it was a back-to-back terrace. Lounge, kitchen, "master" bedroom, bathroom and two bedrooms in the converted attic. For all I know it could have been converted by knocking through to the house behind though.

When we lived there (up and untill '66 I think) it was a back-to-back terrace. Lounge, kitchen, "master" bedroom, bathroom and two bedrooms in the converted attic. For all I know it could have been converted by knocking through to the house behind though.
my brother's flat (OK a ground floor flat so it had a garden at the front (big enough to park a car on) and quite a large walled in garden at the rear)... It was literally a 1 bedroom flat. Bedroom at the front onto the road, bathroom - just bigger than standing inside the bath and touching both walls but not much, a small hall (couldn't swing a cat in it) sitting room off which the kitchen (definitely couldn't swing a cat in) and then a conservatory which leaked something chronic and the doors were iffy. Actually the entire place was iffy at best. My brother and DIY are a destroy it yourself job... the sort of thing where he would cut the floorboards to get at a leak in the pipe work... take out the leaking radiator, capping off both ends (think about this one carefully) and then find out he didn't include 2 joists in the cutting off the floor board so now has nothing to reattach it to... :whistling: they lived like that for +15 years or more.
Well it has just sold (in the last month or so) in Ilford so not exactly an illustrious location, for £169k. Yep you read it correctly. £169,000 for a 1 bedroom flat not even in London, but Ilford. And it sold the same day they put it on the market so only £1,000 less than they were asking for. So your £100,000 seems quite reasonable to me to be honest.

I know the house that we used to live in (as tenants) in Surrey. OK it was rural but there were plenty of issues with it that would put most people off, like it being on sand, not really having proper foundations as we know them today... no gas, no mains water, no mains sewage, an old cess-pit come septic tank which sort of looked after itself provided it didn't rain too hard, and the big one was that you didn't own the only track leading to the property. The Ministry of defence did. You didn't have any land at the gate at the road, so technically you couldn't put the bins out. And broadband was intermittent at best. It did come with just over 2 acres of land. Mostly old coppice that was no longer maintained but also had some really old, ancient (and recorded) oak trees - the sort that come with preservation orders and need 3 or 4 people hold hands to link up to go around the base of the trunk... The woodland was also full (and I do mean full by the thousands) of Early Purple Orchids (absolutely beautiful orchids flowering very early in the year for british orchids) and so on... It was valued at around £750,000 and I know you could easily have spent another £100,000 on it and probably more once you established that there were bats in the roof space. We used to rent it for £650 pm which included someone doing the gardening. we rigged it so that we did the gardening and got paid to do it at the same time!

Born in Boston, moved to California, Illinois, back to California, then Maryland, and finally Michigan. We moved about every 5 years because my father did cancer research, and the jobs depended on whether or not the government grant was extended. If the funding ran out, there were never options to find alternate work nearby, unlike other jobs. Therefore, we'd stay just long enough to get settled in and plant roots, only to pick up and move clear across the country and start over again. This made our family very close, but also made it hard to make friends with each successive move.

I'm the oldest of 4 (2 brothers, 1 sister). My sister now lives in Florida. One brother lives in Ann Arbor (one of the coolest places on earth) and the other lives in Omaha with my parents. They moved to Omaha in 1992, by which time I was old enough to make my own way. I've been working at Ford Motor Company for nearly 30 years. I've been married for going on 22 years. My wife - Karen - and I both agree that we never want to put our kids through what I had to go through, and so we've been in the same house for the last 17 years.

I have a 16-year-old daughter (Natalie) who has a brain tumor that's - mercifully - in remission. She's stable enough after years of treatment that she now needs only get check-ups every few months. Despite the obvious challenges of her condition, she's a nearly-straight-A student. Our son (Nate) is 14, and will be starting high school next year.

How does food fit into all this? I wish I could say that living in different parts of the country broadened my culinary horizons, but there's only so much a child can do. I did, however, go back as an adult to visit the places where I used to live. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my dad lived in northern Italy until he was 18. The cuisine there is a mashup of different styles that aren't typically associated with what Americans consider to be Italian food. My mother's family came to the US from Ireland 2 generations earlier. Growing up, I ate a wide variety of things, and both my parents cooked. They never pressured any of us to do anything, and cooking is among those things. But, I'm happy to say that I can now discuss recipe ideas with them. I've made a point to visit my parents at least once a year with my family (the 750 mile drive makes it impossible to do more than that). Every year, I basically take over their kitchen and make them something. After all they did for me growing up, it's the least I could do.

Born in Boston, moved to California, Illinois, back to California, then Maryland, and finally Michigan. We moved about every 5 years because my father did cancer research, and the jobs depended on whether or not the government grant was extended. If the funding ran out, there were never options to find alternate work nearby, unlike other jobs. Therefore, we'd stay just long enough to get settled in and plant roots, only to pick up and move clear across the country and start over again. This made our family very close, but also made it hard to make friends with each successive move.

I'm the oldest of 4 (2 brothers, 1 sister). My sister now lives in Florida. One brother lives in Ann Arbor (one of the coolest places on earth) and the other lives in Omaha with my parents. They moved to Omaha in 1992, by which time I was old enough to make my own way. I've been working at Ford Motor Company for nearly 30 years. I've been married for going on 22 years. My wife - Karen - and I both agree that we never want to put our kids through what I had to go through, and so we've been in the same house for the last 17 years.

I have a 16-year-old daughter (Natalie) who has a brain tumor that's - mercifully - in remission. She's stable enough after years of treatment that she now needs only get check-ups every few months. Despite the obvious challenges of her condition, she's a nearly-straight-A student. Our son (Nate) is 14, and will be starting high school next year.

How does food fit into all this? I wish I could say that living in different parts of the country broadened my culinary horizons, but there's only so much a child can do. I did, however, go back as an adult to visit the places where I used to live. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my dad lived in northern Italy until he was 18. The cuisine there is a mashup of different styles that aren't typically associated with what Americans consider to be Italian food. My mother's family came to the US from Ireland 2 generations earlier. Growing up, I ate a wide variety of things, and both my parents cooked. They never pressured any of us to do anything, and cooking is among those things. But, I'm happy to say that I can now discuss recipe ideas with them. I've made a point to visit my parents at least once a year with my family (the 750 mile drive makes it impossible to do more than that). Every year, I basically take over their kitchen and make them something. After all they did for me growing up, it's the least I could do.

All my esteem.

Any idea of which County?

Betting "The Banner", "The Tribesmen" or "The Green above the Red"

With such a diverse and interesting group of folks as we have here, especially the ex-pat owner of the site, I've been thinking of where we have all come from.

Where did you grow up? What was your childhood like?

Of course, Ken will probably quote either Oliver Twist, or one of Julian Fellowe's tomes, but our backgrounds could serve for some interesting fare.

Where ya from?

(To add: I'm sure there was food involved, so how did it play a role in your upbringing?)
How did you find the Scouts?

Were you involved in that Scouting site, or have begun stalking me?

Back
Top Bottom