Your Favorite TV programs

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
4:23 AM
For some reason I like Crime Serials. I'm not a great fan of Films where gratuitous violence dominates. The new series of The Black List on the Fox Crime Channel is in my opinion superb because of excellent acting and script writing. Bull is another fav. I like Michael Weatherly who played Dinozzo in NCIS. He obviously suffers with over eating like me. What do you watch?

We watch a lot of BritTV through Acorn and Britbox (and BBCA to a lesser extent). Stuff we're watching or have watched:

Upstairs, Downstairs
All Creatures Great And Small
Graham Norton
Cuckoo
Last Of The Summer Wine
Miss Marple (in all her incarnations)
Poirot
Sherlock Holmes (in all his incarnations)
The In-Betweeners
Count Arthur Strong
Bottom
Dad's Army
The Champions
Campion
Lots of one-off Agatha Christie stuff
The Queens Of Mystery
Agatha Raisin
Loch Ness
Broadchurch
Back
Doctor Who (classic and new)
Father Ted
That Mitchell And Webb Look
The Other One
All In Good Faith
Monarch Of The Glen
Travels With My Father
Lots of light documentaries, especially with the intriguing Lucy Worsley
The Crown
Victoria
Grantchester
Outlander
The White Queen
American Gods
And loads and loads of others

Additionally:
Dark
Hemlock Grove
Umbrella Academy
Party Down
Holey Moley
The Good Doctor
Superstore
Saturday Night Live
Evil
GLOW

And lots of giallo and '70's exploitation films and '60's-'80's low-budget horror/mystery/sci-fi/fantasy movies.

TastyReuben I was completely unaware there was an Agatha Raisin tv show (maybe because I don't watch TV?). I completely hated the book and it was disappointing because there was so much potential there, in the character and in the stories.

My TV is easily the home appliance that gets the least love, even less than the vaccum cleaner, I just don't have the patience to watch TV. I do go through times (rare) when I'm on a TV frenzy and binge watch for hours, a week or so like that and I get tired again. Nowadays I think I only watch TV when I'm ironing or painting my nails, and none of these things happen as frequently as they should. I always watch the same shows:

Mayday Air Crash Investigation
Airport Security

In the past I enjoyed:
Say Yes To The Dress
Miss Fisher Mysteries (set in 20's Australia, loved it so much)
Fringe
Banged Up Abroad
The Love Boat

And to me the best TV show ever: Twin Peaks

We both loooooove TV, and my idea of a perfect day (one version, anyway) is a rainy day, lots of good food in the house, and just me and the TV, for about 15 hours!

I forgot to add Doc Martin to the list.

Agatha Raisin - I have mixed feelings about that. I liked the first series, and just a bit of fluff, really, meant to be more fun than anything else, but it went through a little change when Acorn took it over and started producing it (or whatever their role was).

They sexed it up quite a lot, and if you read through some of my posts here, it should be evident, I'm not a prude, but I like a clever and well-placed, sort of unexpected bit of sexy wordplay, but the new writers were just brutally honest with it, wielding it like a hammer. It went from being clever to being tiresome, as entire scenes seemed to be written just to get one character to say, "I could really use a hand with this job," just so Aggie could make a crass joke.

Oh, we also watched all of Vexed, jokey cop show.

I also enjoy the idea of rainy days and lots of good food but with books instead of the TV set :happy:

And how did I forget the X-Files? My mom made me watch it with her when I was 8 because she was afraid of watching it alone.

I hated Love Boat when it first aired, back when I was a kid. My sister loved it, though. It aired at 9PM, followed by Fantasy Island at 10PM. I did like Fantasy Island, though both shows followed the same formula.

We watch them now, though, and get a kick out of seeing all the stars from our youth, like Jim Nabors, Robert Conrad, Mariette Hartley, and Lola Falana. :)

We just watched the new Fantasy Island movie - crap, crap, crap.

Oh, add Midnight, Texas and The Magicians, and Blood Drive to the list. Blood Drive lasted just one season on SyFy, but it's ridiculously OTT and a lot of fun, and each episode is an homage to a different type of movie or trope.

I'm not a prude, but I like a clever and well-placed, sort of unexpected bit of sexy wordplay, but the new writers were just brutally honest with it, wielding it like a hammer. It went from being clever to being tiresome,
Total agree. Gratuitous sex in movies is for teenagers who can't score. One of the best looking male actors ever in my opinion was Burt the body Lancaster. Everyone who watched the film Imagined Burt giving Deborah a portion, the sound of the waves was all that was needed.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7BwIPCX6ZQ&ab_channel=MovieclipsClassicTrailers

Producers and directors were so much more creative back in the day when society was more prude. The final scene with the train in North by Northwest is just genious.

Morning Glory BBC has some really good programming and most of it it’s not available in Portugal. Whenever I go to my friends house in London I love watching documentaries on BBC, last time they had a really good series on English castles

Morning Glory BBC has some really good programming and most of it it’s not available in Portugal. Whenever I go to my friends house in London I love watching documentaries on BBC, last time they had a really good series on English castles

Yeah - I do watch documentaries too. I'm much more a factual TV watcher than fiction. BBC nature programmes are also top notch.

Oh, and we're about to finish up Wild Bill.

We both like the history stuff and the travel stuff as well. Too many to mention!

Back
Top Bottom