Your favourite pasta shapes

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
8:14 AM
I love the swirly pasta but l also like the shell pasta, l'd choose swirly pasta though, what's your favourite pasta shape?

I like elbow pasta, but I am becoming fond of bowtie and shell pasta. I recently bought some.Ohio State pasta for a fundraiser, but I haven't tried it yet.

To be perfectly honest I don't think it makes a big difference. I usually buy penne... it cooks fast since it's very thin and the sauce always ends up inside them, which makes it even more yummy.

It mostly depends on the dish I have in mind. Cold pasta salads call for shorter pasta, but I am more accustomed to spaghetti and flat pasta when I cook or eat out. If you have less time to cook, the shorter the pasta, the faster it cooks.

I didn't know that short pasta cooked faster. I just ate what I liked. I was use to eating only elbow and spaghetti pasta. It wasn't until recently that I started eating other types of pasta.

the shorter the pasta, the faster it cooks.

I don't agree with that statement - fresh cooks quicker than dried, but shorter quicker than longer, no, I don't think so :scratchhead:

Edit - probably longer according to this article

http://www.annamariavolpi.com/how_to_cook_pasta.html

"How to Cook Short Pasta (rigatoni, penne, etc.)
The procedure for short pasta is very similar to the one described above for long pasta. Cooking short pasta is generally easier, but takes a few minutes longer because short pasta is normally thicker."

I cook mine for the same time whatever shape :wink:

Thanks for the tip. That was very informative. I didn't know that about the cooking times for different pastas.

We have tried a spaghetti that was turned black with squid ink, a rather interesting flavour. Pasta is pasta, love the stuff :)

Obviously the cooking time depends on the thickness. That is just common sense. (for those who still use it)
But I don't ever measure the time, I stop when they are done! :D

I don't measure time either. I stop when they are easy to cut with a fork. I figure that if they're that soft then they are done.

I quite like shells (mac n' cheese), rotelle (tomato juice and hamburger pasta), and elbow (other various hotdishes). Also also make sure to have spaghetti on hand.

I love pasta and I love eating pasta. My favorite dish to make with it is lasagna. It may take a long time to prepare, but it tastes good after it is done cooking.

For spaghetti dishes as well as dishes normally prepared with angel hair pasta - I prefer thin spaghetti, it's the best of both worlds. I find regular spaghetti a little to heavy, and angel hair is a pain in the but to cook and eat sometimes because it all sticks together.

I love mini rigatoni for all other dishes. Although I recently discovered a brand of elbow pasta that actually has ridges on it as well, which was really nice because it works well with stuff like ghoulash too.

Some of my least favorite are bow tie pasta - too dense and heavy and kind of looks sloppy in dishes. I also don't care for cavatappi either, way too heavy and chewy - the pasta overpowers the dish and it takes too long to cook.

I used different kind of pasta shape depending what kind of pasta recipe I will cook for my spaghetti, bake macaroni, beef lasagna, macaroni salad and carbonara. I am using a good quality one even though it is quite expensive but the pasta is great after cooking!

Back
Top Bottom