Your favourite regional cooking

alexander

Über Member
Local time
1:41 AM
We went to a Greek restaurant tonight. I liked it so much as I hadn't had Greek food for a while. I mean to get down to cooking some Greek recipes soon. Generally I'm into European food, having travelled a bit and eaten so many great dishes in humble restaurants. It would be interesting to know about what regional food people here like.

If you are asking me to say which country comes top for me, then I will have to say India. But, of course, there are regions within India. Each with its own cuisine. I just adore spicy hot food and India does it so well.

Thai every time, best served in Thailand of course.
I like Thai as well. I love the salt, sweet, sour. But I'm not keen on all that coconut milk. I think there are many recipes which don't include that but if you search Thai recipes, it tends to always include it.

Last edited:
Chinese, BBQ, Greek pizza, Salad, Italian, American & soul food. Those are the main foods that I eat.

But I've never been out of the country. :headshake:

Last edited:
Hard to say really - we love lots of different foods from lots of different counties [ and the 'variations' that have occurred when they migrate - many of the curries now common in the UK are not wholly Indian for example]

I like Sri Lankan cuisine, which is (like that from the south of India) largely vegetarian. And they have wonderful fruit as well. Oh, and the tea is pretty good. Shame about their beer, but you can't have it all.

I like Sri Lankan cuisine, which is (like that from the south of India) largely vegetarian. And they have wonderful fruit as well. Oh, and the tea is pretty good. Shame about their beer, but you can't have it all.
Lots of fish and seafood though I would think, being an island. But I know nothing about the cuisine. I will have to research it.

I didn't see a lot of fishy dishes...most of it was entirely vegetarian. I've eaten a great many curries over the years, but the best one I ever had was at the Galle Face Hotel in Colombo.

Curiously, there used to be a very good Sri Lankan restaurant in Inverness, but it's gone now (the restaurant, not Inverness).

I didn't see a lot of fishy dishes...most of it was entirely vegetarian. I've eaten a great many curries over the years, but the best one I ever had was at the Galle Face Hotel in Colombo.

Curiously, there used to be a very good Sri Lankan restaurant in Inverness, but it's gone now (the restaurant, not Inverness).
Were you staying inland? I would think that fish would feature in coastal areas.

On the regional foods, @Shermie listed most I like. Though even all those foods vary by region.
Even Texas has at least 3 regional foods. You have beef (primarily Amarillo and Fort Worth), German in the Hill Country and seafood on the coast.
We also have a predominance of Mexican food restaurants though the ones in west Texas are very different foods from either east or south Texas.
Oh and every town has several Asian buffets. (Do not ask the staff questions. Very few of them speak English. )

favourite region - can't say anything other than middle eastern and Indian really. plus there is Moroccan, Ethiopian and .... you get the idea. I just live eating from different places and enjoy something different. some eastern European countries have some excellent dishes easily made veggie or dairy free veggie, then there are some Greek dishes that I love and some Italian ones, a couple of Spanish ones, and plenty of really simple Turkish ones that are easily made veggie and already dairy free.
Could I just narrow it down to Asioeuropean? Mind you that misses out the northern African dishes I rather enjoy...

OK, I can't narrow it down to anyone region of the world... sorry.

I suppose I just like West European food because its what set me off on a culinary adventure. My Mum was a good cook but her food was not anything like what I tasted in France or Italy (sorry Mum).

Back
Top Bottom