Your Most Used Herbs and Spices

Tara

Veteran
Local time
6:43 PM
I have about 5 spices that I use on a daily basis. My favorite go-to spices are:

--Garlic powder
--Cumin
--Cinnamon
--Rock salt (in a grinder)
--Black pepper (in a grinder)

I am using Turmeric more in my cooking because of inflammatory properties.

My favorite go-to spices are as follows:

• Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic Salt
  • Seasoning Salt
  • Cinnamon

They go well with a variety of meats and other foods.

I usually use some or all of the following from my rather large collection of herbs & spices...

turmeric
ground, whole or fresh coriander
ground or whole cumin
sweet noble paprika
mustard seeds (yellow or black)
asafoetida
garlic
ginger
chili powder or whole chillies
garam masala

These are the following herbs and spices that I used which gives flavor and good taste in my cooking:

garlic
onion
ginger
white pepper
iodized salt
chili pepper flakes
cinnamon
sesame seeds

Black pepper, onion (obsessed with it), curry powder (for stir frys), basil, tarragon, garam masala, cajun pepper and peppercorn.

I'll leave out sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, because those are givens.

- Trader Joes California Garlic Powder. There are some preparations where I actually prefer garlic powder over fresh garlic, particularly where fresh might get burnt, such as when making home fries. Trader Joe's garlic powder has a nice tangy brightness to it, not that stale taste you get from many other brands.

- Morton Season-All. This is more and more becoming my go to seasoning when I am in a hurry, I add it along with a little dried parsley to most stuff.

- Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. I used to use this all the time, but I've gotten a little bored with it, hence the switch to Morton's. I do really like the bell pepper flavors as well as the little kick of heat though.

- Red Pepper Flakes/Cayenne. I group these together since they are basically the same thing, just a texture difference. I use red pepper flakes in almost all of my sauces, as well as on pizzas. I use cayenne in place of black pepper in many cases, for some extra kick.

- Smoked Paprika. This is becoming one of my favorite spices. I never realized how strong the stuff was. I've heard it referred to as the "bacon" of spices, which sounds fit.

Back
Top Bottom