Your other hobbies.

My mom used to make stuffed animals for kids in one of the Houston hospitals going through things like cancer treatment. She made at least 100 a year, at her peak. She can't do it anymore. She made some bears, but a lot of rabbits and dogs. She made some turtles, too. They make good pillows.

CD

I've just started this "vest" or V neck sleeveless top.

17045163021685123528677616550377.jpg

It should look like this by the time I'm done.
IMG_8131.jpg

It's another test knit, but I only had greys, greens and browns available otherwise I'd have gone for a similar dark brown/black colour scheme but with the blue switched for green.

Still I can always knit more than 1 version of it, if I want to.

I've just started this "vest" or V neck sleeveless top.

View attachment 108848

It should look like this by the time I'm done.
View attachment 108849

It's another test knit, but I only had greys, greens and browns available otherwise I'd have gone for a similar dark brown/black colour scheme but with the blue switched for green.

Still I can always knit more than 1 version of it, if I want to.
Lovely.
You missed off ‘tank top’ 😆

So I finally managed to sit down with the orchids and start to "save" them. They've been abandoned for almost 2 years (because I wasn't there) but now we're finally getting organised...
Orchids are epiphytos. That just means they don't need earth to thrive, providing they can get their nutrients from the air and the moisture. Other epiphytos are bromeliads (pineapple is one) and anthurium.These particular orchids are called "Vandas". They love the sun, just like me :D When the roots grow, they attach themselves to trees/branches/other plants, and that stabilizes them. However, when there are too many roots, the plants get stressed and don't flower, so it's necessary to trim the roots back, re-plant them (in this case, on rattan palm canes) and let them do their thing. I'll help them with vitamins and insecticides. The "covering" is a form of copra - something like coconut tree fibre. It simply helps to maintain humidity.
These (10 of them) took about 2 hours to do. The final photo was one of these vandas, about 4 years ago.
Vandas 1.jpg
vandas 2.jpg
Orchid 7.jpg

In
So I finally managed to sit down with the orchids and start to "save" them. They've been abandoned for almost 2 years (because I wasn't there) but now we're finally getting organised...
Orchids are epiphytos. That just means they don't need earth to thrive, providing they can get their nutrients from the air and the moisture. Other epiphytos are bromeliads (pineapple is one) and anthurium.These particular orchids are called "Vandas". They love the sun, just like me :D When the roots grow, they attach themselves to trees/branches/other plants, and that stabilizes them. However, when there are too many roots, the plants get stressed and don't flower, so it's necessary to trim the roots back, re-plant them (in this case, on rattan palm canes) and let them do their thing. I'll help them with vitamins and insecticides. The "covering" is a form of copra - something like coconut tree fibre. It simply helps to maintain humidity.
These (10 of them) took about 2 hours to do. The final photo was one of these vandas, about 4 years ago.
View attachment 108877View attachment 108878View attachment 108876
I love orchids. Hopefully your's will perk up and look healthier soon. You must post more photos of them as they improve.

I've grown them (house & native) in the UK and in Australia. I used to have a fantastic air orchid that had the most amazing blue flowers. But my mother killed it whilst looking after it for me. Thought leaving an air orchid in water 24/7 would deal with the dunk its roots in water twice a day issue. I guess it did, permanently! :(

Now I only have about 22 orchids, including 2 vanilla orchids... my collection is much smaller than I'm used to. I do miss them, but getting hold of them in Australia has been much harder than in the UK.

I love orchids. Hopefully your's will perk up and look healthier soon
18 months away from home basically killed off the majority of my plants. My neighbour looked after them while we were gone, but obviously, he hadn't got the experience to manage them.
At one stage, about 8 or 9 years ago, we had over 150 and boasted that we had orchids in the house every day. These days, we might have 2 dozen; perhaps double that, but a lot of them are wild orchids and only flower for 4-5 days every year.
I'm going to try and recover as many as I can, but it might just be a waste of time.
Here are some of them:
Orchid 9.jpg
Orchid 10.jpg
Orchids 8.jpg

18 months away from home basically killed off the majority of my plants. My neighbour looked after them while we were gone, but obviously, he hadn't got the experience to manage them.
At one stage, about 8 or 9 years ago, we had over 150 and boasted that we had orchids in the house every day. These days, we might have 2 dozen; perhaps double that, but a lot of them are wild orchids and only flower for 4-5 days every year.
I'm going to try and recover as many as I can, but it might just be a waste of time.
Here are some of them:
View attachment 108909View attachment 108910View attachment 108911
I was the same, always had orchids in flower in the house.

The air orchid used to go on holiday with us if we were not camping. If we were camping then it went to work and my boss's wife used to look after it for me. I'd have to raid the garage to find the hard drive the photos are on for that one, but it's throwing it down here, so that's off the agenda at the moment.

I'm very slowly building up my collection of them again. I've taken to planting all of 1 type (upto 4 plants max though) in to large orchid containers. It seems to suit the climate better here, they don't dry out anywhere near as quickly. The tiny pots they came in were being watering twice it more a day just before Christmas, so I risked repotting them before the new ones had adapted to their new environment. So far with the exception of 1 pot of 4, that gamble has worked really well. The remaining pot, the orchids were shipped out way too young and not stable enough. I shouldn't have bought them really but I needed to save them! Plus they are blue flowering ones.

Back
Top Bottom