Your other hobbies.

Me too, MG, I wrote and read poetry, played chess, and knitted, but that was teens and 20s. I drew and painted as well. I also used to play guitar, piano, and sing in my 20s and 30s. I raised children in my 40s and early 50s. Now I cook, eat, work (a little) and fool around on the internet. Although drinking is still an interesting hobby!

Sounds like me except I was never musical and I don't work for money. Now it seems I'm a full-time unpaid 'carer'.

Raised kids from late 20's to early 50's. Well, I wouldn't use the term 'raised'. Lets just say I had them. :)

I gave them away. It stopped being a hobby and turned into hard work. I had over 15000 spiders, plus scorpions, mantis, beetles, moths, centipedes, millipedes, cockroaches, etc...
I was spending 2 or 3 hours every day after work just feeding them. Never really got chance to look at them. Weekends were worse.
One Thursday I was feeding as normal, Friday I called my mate and Saturday I dropped everything off at her house.
That was about 10 years ago and just starting to get the itch again to get more.

They tasted like nothing really when I tried them.

They aren't intelligent, they are purely instinct. Their brain is actually a small nerve cluster in the abdomen.
I wonder if it's like other species, some varieties taste better than others. Ah well, I am not that keen on finding out, LOL! It sounds like a very labor intensive hobby for sure.

Be careful... you could get back to that place again. Insects and arachnids creep up on you y'know! I didn't know their brain was in their belly. I do know some humans a bit like that though. :)
On a completely sexist note, most men I know...

Sounds like me except I was never musical and I don't work for money. Now it seems I'm a full-time unpaid 'carer'.

Raised kids from late 20's to early 50's. Well, I wouldn't use the term 'raised'. Lets just say I had them. :)
I raised someone else's kids. Yeah, I am on my way to being an unpaid carer and I was when raising those 4 stepchildren!

I'm making great progress on two of my novels and slower progress on a third, dead in the water on a fourth.

The western romance novel is progressing fastest as I have had the outline of the manuscript well envisioned for some time. Fleshing it out was the chore, descriptions and dialogues, with some editing on sentence structures.

The second novel that I work on in between when I need to take a break from the western is a scifi novel. I have reworked the outline of this novel and given it a somewhat different theme and plot. Fleshing it out is a bit more of a chore as I have needed to do some deeper research on some aspects of science and physics.

The third novel is a crime thriller and I've got some good writing put into a couple chapters for it, but the plot is still somewhat loosely organized and I am certain to make some adjustments to the plot and the thematic material. I've done some really fantastic character development in this novel. I'm just not totally happy with the original plot and theme that I started out with. Changes are inevitable for this one.

A fourth novel, a fantasy, is dead in the water, with no significant progress. This fourth manuscript is based upon some dream material, some wishful thinking, I suppose. It's going to take some effort to resolve the plot and material content. Fantasies are so loosely evolved, not really based on any kind of facts, but instead, outright imaginings. It is I must admit, easier to write material with factual material, than it is to do so with complex or simple imaginings. So, this fourth effort will take some time to evolve.

When I read the work I have done on the western and the scifi and crime novels, I am quite enthralled, surprised that I have thus far created such good writing for these books. I have endeavored to follow a formula that I learned in a fiction writing course I took at U. That course had been both inspirational and informative, regarding manuscript structure and the methods of forming sentences that are both easily read with comfort and that lure and lead the reader in at depth. That course was wonderful and to date, fruitful.

As I have aged in retirement, writing has become more and more, the primary hobby for me.

I'm making great progress on two of my novels and slower progress on a third, dead in the water on a fourth.

The western romance novel is progressing fastest as I have had the outline of the manuscript well envisioned for some time. Fleshing it out was the chore, descriptions and dialogues, with some editing on sentence structures.

The second novel that I work on in between when I need to take a break from the western is a scifi novel. I have reworked the outline of this novel and given it a somewhat different theme and plot. Fleshing it out is a bit more of a chore as I have needed to do some deeper research on some aspects of science and physics.

The third novel is a crime thriller and I've got some good writing put into a couple chapters for it, but the plot is still somewhat loosely organized and I am certain to make some adjustments to the plot and the thematic material. I've done some really fantastic character development in this novel. I'm just not totally happy with the original plot and theme that I started out with. Changes are inevitable for this one.

A fourth novel, a fantasy, is dead in the water, with no significant progress. This fourth manuscript is based upon some dream material, some wishful thinking, I suppose. It's going to take some effort to resolve the plot and material content. Fantasies are so loosely evolved, not really based on any kind of facts, but instead, outright imaginings. It is I must admit, easier to write material with factual material, than it is to do so with complex or simple imaginings. So, this fourth effort will take some time to evolve.

When I read the work I have done on the western and the scifi and crime novels, I am quite enthralled, surprised that I have thus far created such good writing for these books. I have endeavored to follow a formula that I learned in a fiction writing course I took at U. That course had been both inspirational and informative, regarding manuscript structure and the methods of forming sentences that are both easily read with comfort and that lure and lead the reader in at depth. That course was wonderful and to date, fruitful.

As I have aged in retirement, writing has become more and more, the primary hobby for me.
Have you ever had anything published?

Me, too.

I'm pretty boring I guess but cooking and reading about food are my main hobbies.

Otherwise I also read lots, write poetry (won 3 contests already) , and sometimes draw or paint. I also meditate and do yoga. And I dabble in astrology, tarot, and herbology.
But I really spent sooooo much more time on food. It's a complete obsession.
I can add that I've started making bracelets to that list, and people I know are really liking them. Below are some examples.

This one I made as a 'standing with Ukraine' bracelet.

I used to collect and make dollhouse miniatures then got busy and lost interest. However now that I have changed jobs again, though still working outside of home, but have a lot of down time at work, I have gotten interested again. I was watching Fantastic Beasts and where to find them and got inspired to make Newt's suitcase.

Found a vintage suitcase that looks exactly like his, though I am going to have to use a similar fabric and use fabric markers to match the lining. I'm going to make the bedroom scene with Newt and Jacob in Tina and Queenie's apartment that will be a removable "second story" over Newt's shed in my diagram below. Been surfing and shopping a lot, and found figures for all the people, plus Niffler, Dougal, Pickett, a phoenix, a snowy owl, a mandrake, thunderbird type figure, plus a lot of tchotchke pieces. I'll need to sculpt more mandrakes and bowtruckles, plus some occamys and moon calves. That's going to be fun. Got some tiny quail egg shells that will be painted silver for the occamy eggs. I've got an idea for an obscuris using a small clear plastic fillable ornament, feathers and the shredded paper you use in gift bags. The obscuris will be attached to a very small motor powered by 4 AA batteries and will revolve at 0.5 revolutions per minute.

The obscuris, thunderbird and moon calf rooms are all going to be separate and removable. The remainder will be 1 big piece and removable as well. The diagram is still a work in progress but is pretty much my final design. Now, I just need to start bringing it to life.

Last edited:
Have you ever had anything published?

I submitted a long time ago, my first attempted book and was turned down, being said that it was a good first attempt, but was not well enough written to publish. This is what most aspiring authors will crash against and most, I think, will quit at that point, defeated.

Myself, I learned from the failure and took the fiction writing course I spoke of and did my best to learn more about writing, before starting out on my current adventures in writing. I have for some time, allowed these manuscripts to languish while still working, etc. But now that I am retired, am reviving those manuscripts and I am happy to say that they are much improved over my first novel, the one that was turned down.

What is my biggest woe about writing? I would say dialogues between characters. It's easy to write descriptions, but to develop characters, actively engaged in dialogues takes some imaginative work. And there are those boring words applied to speaking characters, the 'replied', 'answered', 'said', etc. I have found these words to be a trap to boring dialogues. It's a good example of how to improve writing. Trash most use of those words. Instead, I have found a couple ways to apply dialogues without the repetitive use of those words, except once in a great while. One way is to simply write a quoted verbal expression where the character speaking is implied by context. Another way is to embed the character's verbal output in descriptive text about the character. And there are other methods which I have put to use. It makes the dialogues more interesting and fluid without the recurring 'he said', 'she replied', etc. etc. ho hum. And that's the point, good writing avoids the cliche', avoids the well trodden ho hum structures and flows with a mix of sentences and quotes, ordered in ways that promote comfort in reading and an alluring flow that leads the reader deeper. Good writing is more than just telling a story, one sentence after another. Good writing, I was taught, shows, more than tells. It flows as something alive and breathes with a rhythm and a connected pulse in an overall structure that has been well applied successfully, from short stories to full novels. I have found working with these tenets is very enjoyable.

I used to collect and make dollhouse miniatures then got busy and lost interest. However now that I have changed jobs again, though still working outside of home, but have a lot of down time at work, I have gotten interested again. I was watching Fantastic Beasts and where to find them and got inspired to make Newt's suitcase.

Found a vintage suitcase that looks exactly like his, though I am going to have to use a similar fabric and use fabric markers to match the lining. I'm going to make the bedroom scene with Newt and Jacob in Tina and Queenie's apartment that will be a removable "second story" over Newt's shed in my diagram below. Been surfing and shopping a lot, and found figures for all the people, plus Niffler, Dougal, Pickett, a phoenix, a snowy owl, a mandrake, thunderbird type figure, plus a lot of tchotchke pieces. I'll need to sculpt more mandrakes and bowtruckles, plus some occamys and moon calves. That's going to be fun. Got some tiny quail egg shells that will be painted silver for the occamy eggs. I've got an idea for an orbicularis using a small clear plastic fillable ornament, feathers and the shredded paper you use in gift bags. The orbicularis will be attached to a very small motor powered by 4 AA batteries and will revolve at 0.5 revolutions per minute.

The orbicularis, thunderbird and moon calf rooms are all going to be separate and removable. The remainder will be 1 big piece and removable as well. The diagram is still a work in progress but is pretty much my final design. Now, I just need to start bringing it to life.

View attachment 84600

I honestly haven't the faintest idea what you are referring to here medtran49! This is another world to me. Sorry... but blimey, you are dedicated to be doing it.

These days my main hobby is food photography and videography. I like it, there are technical aspects to both which appeals to me, but there is also the subjective creative part, which appeals to me more as I grow older. Sad to see you stopped making videos, you were better at it than me FowlersFreeTime

A upcoming hobby is shaping up to be electronics repair. I've always enjoyed trading, so hunting for someting broken on an auction site, winning the auction and then fixing it for a sale and profit, that appeals to me, so I'm buying some tools this week. I'll be reballing a PS4 when the chip arrives. Challenging apparently.

When I was younger, I used to learn to fly helicopters, never did the test. I tried fixed wing, it was enjoyable, but I've loved helicopters since I was a kid.
Like everyone else here, I do the usual 10K steps each day and read books. I spend far more time than is healthy on YouTube.
I do some prepping type gardening, growing calories, etc. hence the spuds.

Back
Top Bottom