Your other hobbies.

We've been doing some "death" cleaning, albeit very reluctantly for Craig because he's a bit of a hoarder, and I found a couple of old dollhouse needlework projects, a small tapestry and a rug for a large salon.

20240309_141642.jpg

It's about 2x3 inches, so would be the equivalent of about 2x3 feet in real life. It's along the lines of the French Cluny tapestry collection. There are 40 something stitches per square inch.

20240309_141754.jpg

The rug. It has 24 stitches per square inch and was my first petit point project. The picture is a bit yellow shaded. The center background is actually a cream color. It's 7x10 inches, so would be 7x10 feet in real life. I'm really happy I found this, thought it had been lost.

Still can't get Craig to get rid of things he'll no longer need. He has 3 large sets of mechanics tools that are almost all complete. There is a whole 12+ piece set of very large wrenches he'll never use again, plus a multitude of odds and ends tools as fill ins, most of which I have no idea what they are or how much they are worth. I did manage to get him to admit that he's not going to use the remainder of the pecan wood, logs with bark, that I brought home from Mississippi years ago for his BBQ, and there was a LOT of it left because my cousins-in-law loaded up my vehicle. He'd have to split and quarter the logs, plus remove some of the bark to use in the smoker and he's just not going to do that now.

I told him I'm not telling him to throw anything away or sell it, but to be honest with himself about whether he was ever going to use something again. It's working with some things, not so much others.

Last edited:
The needle point is beautiful. The detail is remarkable in such a small canvas.
I recently cleaned out the pantry. The top shelf is where I store serving stuff - cake plates, salad bowl, luncheon plates, carafe. In the far-right corner, there are two thermos bottles and a large decorative tin. Those items have not been touched in over 20 years. I asked George what was in the tin. He did not know. It is knife sharpening tools - wet stones, honing oil, Arkansas stones. He uses ceramic rods and a horse butt strop to sharpen our knives. I asked if I could give it away. He said no. He may use it someday. Over 20 years, he did not know what was in the tin, but he may use it someday. :banghead:
I did suggest that if he did not use it in six months than we should get rid of it. He kind of mumbled something that sounded like maybe.

Still can't get Craig to get rid of things he'll no longer need.

Over 20 years, he did not know what was in the tin, but he may use it someday. :banghead:

I’m the opposite and can’t get rid of stuff fast enough, which means I do tend to buy things two or three times.

Over 20 years, he did not know what was in the tin, but he may use it someday. :banghead:
My wife's the same. She's still got 4 telephones (you know, those wierd things with a earphone attached) from my father-in-law, who passed in 2007. I actually said "I'm going to get rid of these"a few weeks ago and was almost murdered on the spot..
Next time she's travelling, those prehistoric items are OUT! :D :D

I think "hoarding" runs in a family. My late FIL used to buy wine by the bucketload , although he drank whisky. One day at lunch, we started pulling his leg when he said "Go get a bottle of wine from down below!"
We pulled at least 6 or 7 bottles, all of which were spoiled. Down the drain with the Gévry-Chambertain, the Médoc, the Sauternes - all 'orrible.
Then when I got to clean out my mum's house in 2022, I found all my school notebooks (c. 1965), my sister's school notebooks and pictures, newspapers from 1950, 1960, 1970,... all chucked out.

Last edited:
I've got to this point with the Fairisle bag. But I have agonise run out of the light grey yarn, so I'm waiting on more arriving.
20240317_105149.jpg

1 handle is almost complete now but I have to ask someone at knitting tomorrow how to join the crochet handle onto the bag at the other end. I still have the other handle, the trimmings in purple and then the lining, and zips plus a pocket to do.

Back
Top Bottom