Your other hobbies.

As I've probably mentioned too many times, I'm a musician in my other life.
Here’s a song/poem that I just polished off a couple of days ago:

I'll come around
Whenever you feel all alone,
Or just to see what you've found;
Maybe I'll call on the phone.
It's up to you anyway,
Whatever you're thinking today,
Just say the word
And I'll drop what I'm doing
And I'll come around.

You never have
To worry or guess.
There's always a path
Between us.

I'll come around
Just because you bring out my very best,
And when I'm down
You raise me up high, high, far above the rest.
Two of us just laughing,
And Time's doing nothing but passing,
And you're so...you,
And that is why
I'll come around.

The story behind it - at my last job (about 18 years ago - yes, I’ve been carrying this around that long!), my manager and I developed a fairly close personal relationship (we’re still in contact and friends today).

She was going on a lengthy medical leave, and we were sitting in the office on her last day, and I told her I was really going to miss having her in there. She replied with, “Aw, I’ll still be coming around, and I’ll probably phone in every so often.”

The phrase “I’ll come around, or maybe I’ll call on the phone,” stuck in my head and went in my notebook.

I wrote it as a expression of unconditional support for a friend, and I kind of imagined the two people in it as younger, preteen kids, and maybe a sort of unlikely friendship, or maybe two misfits, and one is moving away, but not too far, something like that.

Yeah, all that’s in there! :laugh:

I'm learning to play bass guitar.
I made a list of songs I can play along with good enough that there are no noticeable mistakes...

I've thought of a couple more as well.

Here’s a song/poem that I just polished off a couple of days ago:

I'll come around
Whenever you feel all alone,
Or just to see what you've found;
Maybe I'll call on the phone.
It's up to you anyway,
Whatever you're thinking today,
Just say the word
And I'll drop what I'm doing
And I'll come around.

You never have
To worry or guess.
There's always a path
Between us.

I'll come around
Just because you bring out my very best,
And when I'm down
You raise me up high, high, far above the rest.
Two of us just laughing,
And Time's doing nothing but passing,
And you're so...you,
And that is why
I'll come around.

The story behind it - at my last job (about 18 years ago - yes, I’ve been carrying this around that long!), my manager and I developed a fairly close personal relationship (we’re still in contact and friends today).

She was going on a lengthy medical leave, and we were sitting in the office on her last day, and I told her I was really going to miss having her in there. She replied with, “Aw, I’ll still be coming around, and I’ll probably phone in every so often.”

The phrase “I’ll come around, or maybe I’ll call on the phone,” stuck in my head and went in my notebook.

I wrote it as a expression of unconditional support for a friend, and I kind of imagined the two people in it as younger, preteen kids, and maybe a sort of unlikely friendship, or maybe two misfits, and one is moving away, but not too far, something like that.

Yeah, all that’s in there! :laugh:

I want to hear the tune!

Finally done... not finished totally because I've not blocked it (first wash where you set the will to it's shape and dry so that things are in a straight line that don't otherwise want to be in a straight line immediately after being knitted)...

Hubby seems happy with it!

^^That’s really impressive, SatNav! I’ve done a bit of knitting, but I stick to solid colours - I’m not good enough yet to keep track of colourwork in a pattern.

It looks lovely, and your husband does look very pleased!

Finally done... not finished totally because I've not blocked it (first wash where you set the will to it's shape and dry so that things are in a straight line that don't otherwise want to be in a straight line immediately after being knitted)...

View attachment 88230

View attachment 88229
That’s just beautiful, and yes, he seems well-pleased with it!

View attachment 88230

View attachment 88229
I just can't believe how much you get done over a day or course of days, just amazing the stamina you have!

I just can't believe how much you get done over a day or course of days, just amazing the stamina you have!
Lol, I just put it down to being too stubborn to know when to quit .

The problem is that I haven't adapted. I used to do so much more each and every day. On top of a full time job, cycling to and from work, I also had a private job fixing computers. That was evenings and weekends. Inbetween, we grew all of our own veg, we had a greenhouse, a large lawn, hazel coppice, a long stretch of wild hedgerow (500m to 750m or so) and 2 acres of woodland. The track was 1 mile long that needed constant maintenance, wooded on either side, prone to flooding and so on. We child sat for a friend's 2 children and several dogs. The school I worked at was a boarding school so weekends away were frequent in between Easter & October half term. If I didn't go, then no girls could go because I way the only member of female staff who went camping or did the survival weekends with the SAS. and so on. I hardly do anything now compared to what I used to do.

I know people always told us we were very busy and always active, but I didn't really believe them. I don't feel active now, but for different reasons. To me what I do is done because it has to be done. At some point I'll actually choose to do something for myself! I guess that's the difference. At the moment I'm not doing anything for me, it's all for everyone else, if that makes sense.

Many moons ago at the start of covid, whimsy my mother was stranded here, she volunteered me to finish a blanket an old lady had started knitting. There were no directions, instructions, no pattern, and so on....

Almost 2 years to the day since my parents returned to the UK, I've finally finished sewing in an estimated 760 ends and sewing it all together. Each square is actually 4 diamonds. If it had been done in one colour the pattern would have been much more obvious, but the little old lady was using up scrap yarn (so loads of ends and joins). There is something between 27 & 54 balls of yarn in there. 2.7kg of it in total.

Each square of 4 diamonds has 8 ends minimum, plus an additional 4 to stitch then together into a square. Then you get to sew the big squares together into a strip adding an additional 14 ends minimum. 12 × 6 = 72 roughly (joins in diamonds meant extra ends), 72+10 to make a strip is 82 round to 90 to deal with joins.... 8 strips (each 6 squares wide) gives 90 × 8 = 720 plus the joins to join the long strips together (740 plus the edging.... call it around 760 ends to be sewn in!

Yeah, thanks mum.

I'm not certain what size it actually is but outs about double bed size.

There's another blanket yet to be sewn together. A job for another week. Yep it's taken roughly 3 weeks to sew it all together and deal with all of those ends.

Wow SatNav, it’s beautiful!

I feel your pain - I like knitting but the sewing up and weaving in ends is my least favourite part. I find it so tedious - kudos to you for sticking with it and getting it done!

Back
Top Bottom