Your passion for cooking

Oh sure pocofan !!!
No one else in our household can cook (I should say has the ability) but me and it gets pretty dang annoying!
As mentioned by TastyReuben , other than while we're on vacay (and even then I microwave or prep cold meals for us on the road-I take a sort of mini kitchen along with us), I cook all the meals, everyday and there are exceptions.
When I was ill for 2+ weeks this past January with covid and in quarantine was probably the longest I've gone.
Should I get bored or can't come up with something for dinner, I can always go deep freezer diving and come up with a great put-together-easy-peasy meal with little to no effort.

I have periods where I lose my love of cooking temporarily, yes. Because my disability makes it a painful chore, sometimes for weeks or months on end. It's why I had to stop working. That's why sometimes I post lots of recipes here, and participate in challenges. And other times I post infrequently and more ready made foods or low effort cooking.

But I never lose my love of food, it's been with me as long as I can remember. I have a form of synesthesia where I can taste foods that are written about, or that I imagine. So reading cookbooks has been a great joy in my life, as I can 'taste' them like a banquet. I have about 200 cookbooks and food biographies at the moment. I also love eating, so food is a source of joy to me that will probably last unless something terrible happens to my taste buds or nose. Not a scenario I want to think about, though it would probably be the only scenario where I'd lose weight lastingly :laugh: but it would take a huge chunk out of my life's joy, so not worth it.

Did you ever lose your love of cooking. Just needed a break or got in a rut ?
I only cook 4 or 5 times a week, the rest of the time its left overs or takeout. I have tried cooking every day of the week and THAT caused me to lose some interest and enthusiasm. This is how I know I could never be a line cook 😅

I've never lost my passion for cooking and don't expect I ever will. I'm pretty sure I'm rut-proof. My "trick" is that I never overdo it. When I want to go all out, I go all out. When I want to be quick and lazy, I'm quick and lazy. I always take it easy, but as I've gotten better at cooking, what's "easy" to me has gotten more and more advanced.

I also get a lot of passion just from the philosophical side of food. I love getting into the weeds on techniques and flavor, more so than most people probably care about.

I've never lost my passion for cooking and don't expect I ever will. I'm pretty sure I'm rut-proof. My "trick" is that I never overdo it. When I want to go all out, I go all out. When I want to be quick and lazy, I'm quick and lazy. I always take it easy, but as I've gotten better at cooking, what's "easy" to me has gotten more and more advanced.

I also get a lot of passion just from the philosophical side of food. I love getting into the weeds on techniques and flavor, more so than most people probably care about.

I think you describe my approach quite well.

At times, I don't cook. I've been making cold cut sammies. But I got tired of eating the same thing day after day, so instead of just leaving them in the fridge to spoil, I vacuum sealed them in the new zipper bags that you can vacuum seal small amounts of food in, reopen the bags & seal them back up again. Then I put them in the freezer.

But most of the time, I just eat whatever is around in the kitchen. To cook something,I have to get a head start earlier in the day, otherwise I don't cook because I don't like to eat a heavy meal late at night. I have acid reflux, & that can double-back, causing serious heartburn & sleeplesssness at night!! :ninja::yuck:

Last edited:
I just didn’t really care to cook for a couple of weeks. Just felt like I had lost my interest. Then Monday I cooked some chicken breasts and just grabbed ingredients. Not giving much thought in to it. And BAM. It turned out great and kind of rekindled my desire to cook.

Back
Top Bottom