Your Photos

Ok, @morning glory, more murals for you:

This one is "Fresh Harvest"
200D3CC0-64CC-45BF-9719-1D668F698EDA.jpeg

Appropriate that it's on the side of the national headquarters of Kroger, the US's largest supermarket chain.

This is "Ice Cream Daydream"
A6DAA7BD-16F3-426C-B770-EE8D80923636.jpeg

One of my personal favorites, though the diamond-shaped sun sprinkling strawberries down on a garden filled with desserts is a bit obscured by the tree.

And this is Cincinnati City Hall:
42ADED5D-0045-47C6-A034-671229D25B5D.jpeg

The coloring reminds me of buildings I've seen in the lowlands of Scotland.

Ok, @morning glory, more murals for you:

Gorgeous. Love the veg mural. They really do look 3D

This is "Ice Cream Daydream"

Great fun. Its almost 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.

The coloring reminds me of buildings I've seen in the lowlands of Scotland.

There is also something Germanic.

Are the streets of Cincinnati really so empty?

Thank you for posting. You make me feel as if I'm there.

Are the streets of Cincinnati really so empty?
I told everyone to go inside while I took photos. :giggle:

Just kidding. That's typical, though possibly affected by the weather today. It was 93F when I was out and very high humidity. By the time I got back to the office (after about 45 minutes walking around outside), I looked pretty well drenched in sweat. :heat:

In digging through old photos for the "The Way We Were" topic, I came across this one. No people in it, so I thought I'd post it here. It's black-and-white, not because it's from 1940, but because I developed it myself as part of a photography class in high school, and we didn't do color. :)

This sits just off to the side of my parents' house. The bottom half is the root cellar, and the top half is the smokehouse.

This was built right after we built the house, so 1974. The tractor I posted in the other topic was used to dig out the hillside, then we laid the block for the root cellar, and built the smokehouse on top of that.

The root cellar had a giant partitioned bin at the back, the size of a car, that held potatoes and onions. The sides were lined with shelves for all the canning my mom did.

I hated the root cellar because it was full of spiders. Spiders everywhere.

We cured our own bacon and salt-cured ham (which is worlds apart from the usual ham you get in restaurants). The smokehouse hasn't been used since the mid-90's, but I can still go in there and smell the cure and the smoke, like it had just been used.

I once got a smack in the head from my mom when I answered the phone, and when the person on the other end asked for my dad, I innocently said, "Hold on, he's out in the smokehouse, rubbing his meat." :thankyou:
9F5F69E0-BF7B-45B8-A0C0-C8ABC1BFC0C1.jpeg

I cut every one of those wood shingles with a froe. I was eight years old and my dad showed me how and then left it to me.

Years later, when my brother was building his house (I was about 38), I was home visiting and he was complaining that he couldn't find anyone who sold wood shingles for his roof.

I took him outside, rummaged around the barn for a bit, found the froe, grabbed a piece of firewood, split it into four or five shingles in no time, and I said, "There you go, now you can do it yourself!" And he did. :happy:

In digging through old photos for the "The Way We Were" topic, I came across this one. No people in it, so I thought I'd post it here. It's black-and-white, not because it's from 1940, but because I developed it myself as part of a photography class in high school, and we didn't do color. :)

This sits just off to the side of my parents' house. The bottom half is the root cellar, and the top half is the smokehouse.

This was built right after we built the house, so 1974. The tractor I posted in the other topic was used to dig out the hillside, then we laid the block for the root cellar, and built the smokehouse on top of that.

The root cellar had a giant partitioned bin at the back, the size of a car, that held potatoes and onions. The sides were lined with shelves for all the canning my mom did.

I hated the root cellar because it was full of spiders. Spiders everywhere.

We cured our own bacon and salt-cured ham (which is worlds apart from the usual ham you get in restaurants). The smokehouse hasn't been used since the mid-90's, but I can still go in there and smell the cure and the smoke, like it had just been used.

I once got a smack in the head from my mom when I answered the phone, and when the person on the other end asked for my dad, I innocently said, "Hold on, he's out in the smokehouse, rubbing his meat." :thankyou:
View attachment 30895

I cut every one of those wood shingles with a froe. I was eight years old and my dad showed me how and then left it to me.

Years later, when my brother was building his house (I was about 38), I was home visiting and he was complaining that he couldn't find anyone who sold wood shingles for his roof.

I took him outside, rummaged around the barn for a bit, found the froe, grabbed a piece of firewood, split it into four or five shingles in no time, and I said, "There you go, now you can do it yourself!" And he did. :happy:

Fascinating. Such a world apart from my childhood - except that mine did feature a lot of wood. My Dad was a carpenter.

I went out this mourning because there was a chance of a decent sunrise. Instead a found myself staring at this. It ran from horizon to horizon, directly overhead. It was made all the more obvious for the sun catching the leading edge.

20190818_063624.jpg

Looking the other way after the sunrise had finished (they are very short lived the closer you get to the equator).

20190818_064033.jpg

Fascinating. Such a world apart from my childhood - except that mine did feature a lot of wood. My Dad was a carpenter.

My Dad was a bushman, he chopped trees down until the day he disappeared. I grew up with big two man saws in our garden shed. And s lot of axes. Did they not have chain saws then???

Russ

Back
Top Bottom