Your Photos

Most of my professional photography is automotive related. I thought it might be fun to show my new-found British friends a photo of the car that I drive daily around "Big D," Dallas, Texas, land of the three-ton Super-Duty "commuter" truck...

View attachment 34659

CD:wink:
I've had a bit of a yearning for one of those for some time now. A few years ago I was involved in an event launching the trial of the electric version. Totally silent - very eerie!

This was taken whilst I was watering the veg plot before hubby got up this morning. He misses so much being asleep at this time of day.

The light is totally natural and real. The sky had been light for about ¾ hr to an hour at this point. (It was light at 5:30am when I woke but the sun takes a while to actually very above the horizon).
I was watering before the veg plot got into sunlight to minimise water loss and stress to the plants (watering in full sun damaged plants and wastes water especially when it's going to be a hot day). I also earthed over the potatoes which were just starting to put leaves above ground. We've a few more frosts due this week.

Some days ago, early morning, a view from my terrace. The fog is quite normal here and, maybe it sounds a bit weird, but I find it so fascinating (at least when I do not have to drive)

Last edited:
That looks so much like large areas of Texas. What kind of tress are those?

CD
That's an easy answer. As hubby says when you don't know, just reply 'eucalyptus'. You'll be right 95% off the time. A lot of trees in Australia are a eucalyptus of some type or another. Now what type of eucalyptus is another matter entirely! It is almost a classification of outs own. Kind of like replying coniferous when you've in an evergreen wood. Incidentally they are evergreens. They lose their leaves in summer, but they don't all come off, just go brown and the same leaves will turn green again when the rains come (in autumn, if they come that is). But bark and leaves are lost in summer when there's very little water.

That's an easy answer. As hubby says when you don't know, just reply 'eucalyptus'. You'll be right 95% off the time. A lot of trees in Australia are a eucalyptus of some type or another. Now what type of eucalyptus is another matter entirely! It is almost a classification of outs own. Kind of like replying coniferous when you've in an evergreen wood. Incidentally they are evergreens. They lose their leaves in summer, but they don't all come off, just go brown and the same leaves will turn green again when the rains come (in autumn, if they come that is). But bark and leaves are lost in summer when there's very little water.

Or, like saying oak trees. Live oak trees are abundant in Texas, and are also evergreens. Like your eucalyptus trees, live oaks drop their leaves in the Spring and new leaves replace them at the same time. Live oaks are very drought tolerant. They will stop growing in drought, but stay green. They can live as long as 300 years. Here is one in my backyard. It is 18 years old.

PrunedTree.jpg

CD

Or, like saying oak trees. Live oak trees are abundant in Texas, and are also evergreens. Like your eucalyptus trees, live oaks drop their leaves in the Spring and new leaves replace them at the same time. Live oaks are very drought tolerant. They will stop growing in drought, but stay green. They can live as long as 300 years. Here is one in my backyard. It is 18 years old.

View attachment 34771

CD
I grew up with oak trees in the UK. they aren't really like them in terms of quantity. They do grow to be very old, like oaks. We used to have several ancient oaks (in the UK, ancient had a specific meaning for oaks, they are registered and tagged, kept track of and often have preservation orders on them. I deliberately registered 10 or so i was concerned about at our last residence in the UK before we went off to cycle around the world). Eucalyptus is a family of trees. I think that's the best way of describing them. They are considerably more prolific than oaks. (We also have oaks in Australia.)

Back
Top Bottom