Your Photos

Yeah, on a monthly, if not more frequent, basis. Some have been quite impressive but the last few have filled the garage with a thick layer of dust that had coated everything. Even the newly purchased stuff has been totally coated twice in the last week alone. I'm struggling to keep the house clean at the best of times and all of the window sills have a layer of dirt on them, thick particles that have got through.

We have gales again right now which are not only bringing the smoke over yet again, but also whipping up the dirt. The only advantage of the current wind direction is that it isn't from the interior. That brings horrendous dust storms that turn the sky brown and block or the sun completely. Driving in those conditions is challenging to say the least. Right now it feels like tomorrow is going to be a bad day for dust and smoke combined!

Our dust storms come out of West Texas, so we have plenty of warning. My car doesn't leave the garage if I know one is coming. With my HVAC systems, I only open the windows when the weather is just right, and I want to get some fresh air blowing through the house.

We got them a few times every year for a long time, but haven't had one in a couple of years. I don't know why. I can only guess that the prevailing winds have not been right.

CD

When I go to my local Kroger, I almost always park in a small lot connected to a city park that's about 1/3rd of the way away, then hoof it there and back, just to get a little fresh air and exercise.

This little item caught my eye this morning:
Looks like that could be a whimsical tree straight out of a Dr. Seuss book. :)

Talk about droopy trees, here is a shot from the ice storm of 2013 of a tree a few blocks from my house.

IceStormTree001.jpg

That tree didn't recover. It was a Bradford Pear tree, so no loss.

CD

Why not a loss?

They are not native to North Texas. They grow very fast, which is why people planted them, but only live about 15 years. They are also prone to split in ice storms and high winds. They also need a lot of water, and we have droughts here.

My city has banned planting them, as have many around here. Maple trees are also banned here. They are wonderful trees up in the Northeast, but like the Bradford pear, Maples grow quickly and die young in our soil and climate conditions.

Local laws and ordinances are aimed at steering people to plant native, drought tolerant trees and shrubs. A native live oak tree, for example, can live hundreds of years in the wild.

CD

Our dust storms come out of West Texas, so we have plenty of warning. My car doesn't leave the garage if I know one is coming. With my HVAC systems, I only open the windows when the weather is just right, and I want to get some fresh air blowing through the house.

We got them a few times every year for a long time, but haven't had one in a couple of years. I don't know why. I can only guess that the prevailing winds have not been right.

CD

I installed Windows upstairs so it catches the southerly, both ends open, give me free flowing air through the house.

Russ

Australia could do with what we are getting.
Tell me about it. I'm struggling to keep anything alive at the moment. All water is recycled and all is going over my veg trying to keep them alive but there isn't going to be a fruit harvest at all this year. The trees have dripped all their apples, pears, apricots etc and what hasn't dropped has been eaten by the native birds desperate for anything.

Grass is a thing of the past. Dirt and dust is pretty much all that is left. Even the lemon tree is struggling and native trees are dropping leaves and bark like out is going out of fashion. They are limp as well.

Only my grape vine is thriving but that is because we water it every day when we water my tomatoes and aubergines.

This week is forecast to be the hottest we have known in Canberra and we have been here for various records being set.

I've actually no idea when it last rained!

Summer Solstice Sunrise.

The figure of 8, or double of the sun, is caused by a temperature inversion from the smoke haze. When you view the sun through this inversion the image of the sun splits into 2 and you see double literally. It is known as a mock mirage (or m mir) sunrise, though I believe it is normally only a sunset that this occurs with.

From my photshoot in New Orleans Wednesday. This is especially for our non-American members. This is the pinnacle of American car building. It is a 1938 Packard Twelve Victoria Coupe Convertible. It has a V-12 engine that runs a smooth as a sewing machine. Packard was to the US what Bentley was to Britain back in the day.

PackardVictoria.jpg

CD

From my photshoot in New Orleans Wednesday. This is especially for our non-American members. This is the pinnacle of American car building. It is a 1938 Packard Twelve Victoria Coupe Convertible. It has a V-12 engine that runs a smooth as a sewing machine. Packard was to the US what Bentley was to Britain back in the day.

View attachment 35858

CD
I'm a car guy so appreciate the pic. Lots of old yanky tanks around nz, some even rare. I got into V8s when my neighbour bought a studebaker hawk. I still have 1 X V8

Russ

Back
Top Bottom