Your Photos

I lived in Mack, Ohio for two years as a young teen. I was there in 1973 and 1974. To be more precise, I lived there on April 3, 1974 -- just up the hill from Saylor Park. Any of that ring a bell?

CD
Mack, Ohio wasn't that where there was the super outbreak of Tornados?

...and my folks. 81 years old, married 64 years next month, six kids born and raised:

Great to see photos of your old homestead. I must say your Mom in particular looks remarkably young for an 81 year old. And your Dad has a good head of hair (which bodes well for you TastyReuben).

I lived in Mack, Ohio for two years as a young teen. I was there in 1973 and 1974. To be more precise, I lived there on April 3, 1974 -- just up the hill from Saylor Park. Any of that ring a bell?

CD
Yes, absolutely. Let's hear it for west side! :)

Mack, Ohio wasn't that where there was the super outbreak of Tornados?

Well, the super outbreak covered several states -- 148 confirmed tornadoes in one day. The Saylor park tornado was part of that outbreak. It was an F5 tornado. It touched down in Indiana, crossed the Ohio river into Kentucky, then crossed the river again into Ohio. It is one of only two F5 tornadoes to touch three states in recorded history. It went through Mack -- and through my neighborhood.

Here is a link, if you are a history fan, like me.

The Super Outbreak of April 3-4, 1974

CD

Last edited:
Well, the super outbreak covered several states -- 148 confirmed tornadoes in one day. The Saylor park tornado was part of that outbreak. It was an F5 tornado. It touched down in Indiana, crossed the Ohio river into Kentucky, then crossed the river again into Ohio. It is one of only two F5 tornadoes to touch three states in recorded history. It went through Mack -- and through my neighborhood.

Here is a link, if you are a history fan, like me.

The Super Outbreak of April 3-4, 1974

CD
I was nearly 8 years old. I remember that like yesterday. Never been so terrified in my life. Xenia, right up the road, was hit very hard.

I've been way to close to too many tornadoes in my life, and to this day, nothing scares the absolute crap out of me like a tornado.

Southwestern part of Ohio, midway between Cincinnati and Dayton on a map.

My dad wants to move, says it's too much to keep mowed and all that. He's got a bit of dementia, so on Monday, he wants to move to an apartment, on Tuesday, he wants to stay in the house, on Wednesday, he wants to get a condo in town, on Thursday, he wants to move to Florida, etc.

Mom wants to stay put and die there. We built that house in 1971, as in, my dad bartered for a backhoe and dug the foundation, laid the block, got the lumber when he had any money and raised the walls, dried it in, did the wiring, plumbing, roofed it, the whole bit. Five bedrooms and two baths. Every nail in that house, one of us drove it.

They've been there that long, and Mom said today that she'd "miss that ol' lonesome wind singing with the trees," so I suppose they'll be staying.

Kinda like my upstairs floor, huge lounge and large bedroom and en suite. I cut every piece of timber with a mitre saw and also nailed most of the nails in. My son, 15 at the time and a friend who was a builder and I built it. I did all internal walls and dry wall and stopping the plaster. Prolly why I don't want to sell??

Russ

I was nearly 8 years old. I remember that like yesterday. Never been so terrified in my life. Xenia, right up the road, was hit very hard.

I've been way to close to too many tornadoes in my life, and to this day, nothing scares the absolute crap out of me like a tornado.

I was 13 at the time. It scared the *&%$ out of me, too. We sheltered under a billiard table in the basement. When we came up, and went out the front door, we could see the tornado moving away from us, and houses literally "exploding" into debris. It was hypnotic. Disbelief won't let you look away.

When it was gone, we started to look around, and I vividly remember looking up the street, and my brain having to figure out, "What's wrong with this picture?" What was wrong was that entire two-story houses were gone. Not just leveled, but gone.

Xenia really took a devastating hit from a separate tornado that evening -- also an F5. IIRC 31 people died from that one. Hundreds injured.

We had basements up there, which saved a whole lot of lives. Now I live in Tornado Alley, in a house with no basement. I do have a pretty decent place to take shelter, and a plan. It would take a direct hit from a very strong twister to take out my shelter.

CD

Wall geometries

I rubbed my screen, I thought my I pad was dirty,lmao. Nice clear skies here as well.

Russ
Anything but here, yet it was still over 38°C by midday. The sky is a browny colour with ash falling from it this morning! We're back to whitish brown clouds again now with a bluish brown sky in the background. It will stay that way until just before our just after dark, but not long enough to take advantage of cooler temperatures before the cold air compacts the smoke layer again forcing it to spread outwards instead of upwards...

Back
Top Bottom