Your Photos

I saw a rainbow at the train station earlier this week!
357C8D5A-EA85-4FE5-A039-ACFF7C97F0EE.jpeg

Managed to make it home to Bermuda finally, first time since COVID due to strict travel restrictions. Anywho, here are a few of my faves that I captured.

Our old house at Shelly Bay
52845588122_4cd1601bdc_4k.jpg
Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

House with Shelly Bay off to the left
52846167766_30e43284d5_4k.jpg

Bermuda Longtails
52846568030_8a959d2552_h.jpg

52845590712_4c49c0747f_h.jpg

Pink Sands at John Smith Bay
52845591982_85c96e30d4_4k.jpg

Commissioners House
52846569740_cc41a865b7_4k.jpg

The whole of the Royal Naval Dockyards and kings Wharf
52845596267_e2d43c3d5c_4k.jpg

Managed to make it home to Bermuda finally, first time since COVID due to strict travel restrictions. Anywho, here are a few of my faves that I captured.

Our old house at Shelly Bay
View attachment 99364Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

House with Shelly Bay off to the left
View attachment 99365Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

Bermuda Longtails
View attachment 99366Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

View attachment 99367Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

Pink Sands at John Smith Bay
View attachment 99368Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

Commissioners House
View attachment 99369Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

The whole of the Royal Naval Dockyards and kings Wharf
View attachment 99370Bermuda 2023 by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

Gorgeous photos and location ThatDude.

We visited my dad today (in a care home), and my brother has some old photos taped up to the wall, so here’s one:

IMG_5623.jpeg

That’s my dad running the sawmill. See that conveyor on the near side of the blade? That means this pic is from after I left home. He installed the conveyor as an automated way of catching the freshly-cut slabs and boards and carrying them away, to be stacked later.

That used to be my job - stand there and catch everything as it came off, and if it was a slab (the first cut), mule it out to the slab pile as fast as I could (eventually cut into stove wood, also my job), and if it was boards to be edged, hold them there until the log was finished and the boards could be edged into finished lumber, and if it was finished boards, run them out and stack them (with shims between each board to allow air to get through), and be back in time for the next pass.

On top of that, whenever a log needed turning, I had to ride the carriage back and help turn the log…and if I was too slow to grab the carriage on its return, I had to run right across the beams there, blade turning, mantle (the axle-looking thing) spinning, and hope like hell I didn’t trip and fall. If I got a run at it, could make it over in two jumps!

Im impressed how fast you're back up at at it after your hip op. Congrats, hope its settled down now 👍
Thanks. Today was hard going but I made it and did the climb and the same speed as everyone else which given I'm not very fit at all, I was surprised about. 6.5km (4 miles) with 250m (800 feet) climbing and it was steep climbing at that. I think moving time was 1hr 40 mins (strava) which covered us wandering around the Botanical Gardens at the start. And most importantly, I did it with the crutches (but did need hubby's assistance towards the end with the steps because my legs just said NOOOOOO to life by the end. It's twice what I did last weekend. I have no plans to even consider doubling the distance next weekend! But I will try to get something in that's a similar distance.

Thanks. Today was hard going but I made it and did the climb and the same speed as everyone else which given I'm not very fit at all, I was surprised about. 6.5km (4 miles) with 250m (800 feet) climbing and it was steep climbing at that. I think moving time was 1hr 40 mins (strava) which covered us wandering around the Botanical Gardens at the start. And most importantly, I did it with the crutches (but did need hubby's assistance towards the end with the steps because my legs just said NOOOOOO to life by the end. It's twice what I did last weekend. I have no plans to even consider doubling the distance next weekend! But I will try to get something in that's a similar distance.
Bloody good on you 🎉

I can't tell you how many times I've watched hip or knee patients deteriorate after surgery because they simply won't exercise, tbh it can get you down because you know that persons likely trajectory if they don't take up the obvious solution right in front on them - a little bit of exercise, just walk, a little walk, PLEASE

But no, usually they consult Dr Google and find some mad theory endorsing why they shouldn't and they won't listen even though you're seeing it for the millionth time!

Rant over 😆

Four miles is a lot on a new hip 👍
Small incremental increases are the winning formula. If the four miles doesn't cause any problems then really 10% increases per week should be the max. If it does cause too much ache dropping back to two miles and adding just 10% a week is the way to go.
You know your own body but am I right in detecting a type of determined grit that makes you want it all back as quickly as possible?
Slowly catchy monkey and all that 🤗

You know your own body but am I right in detecting a type of determined grit that makes you want it all back as quickly as possible?
Slowly catchy monkey and all that 🤗
Yep. 15 months ago I was still using the wheelchair. My first hip replacement got me out of it. Last time I used it was going into hospital for that operation. Everyone was really pleased with the progress I made then. I've been on crutches (and wheelchair for social/away from house) since my back went 9 years ago. At the time I was cycling 1,000 miles a month. I had a 49½ miles commute (rtn trip) doing that 3 times a week, plus a big +80 miles at the weekend with hubby and often out with a friend as well)... overnight i was paralysed down the right leg. My UK dr didn't diagnose it correctly/ at all...

Anyhow, this time I recovered even better than the first operation... and I'm off the crutches 10 days now. There are still the odd issues. The back problems won't ever clear nor will the remaining paralysis in my right leg (I was told I wouldn't get out of the wheelchair by my physio in the UK). But want some of my old life back. Some parts are gone for good, I know that. Rock climbing & mountaineering for starters. I might not ever manage to carry anything but a light day sack again, but I come from a background that was extremely active. Cycling 5 miles across country to work, swimming at lunchtime, cycling home again and then going for a walk on the common in the evening was normal. We thought nothing of a 2-3 hour walk after work, or a holiday covering 25-30 miles a day (yep, miles)... holidays were always active. It was normal for us and I was always around other very active people (usually ex special forces)... by the way, hubby and I were both diagnosed with severe OA in 2 joints each within 6 weeks of each other! It is possible we were too active.

I want to get back on my feet and get some part of that life back. I guess that's the difference. I need to be active. I can't hack not being able to walk freely and any distance and it has always been how I've controlled my asthma (I'm a severe asthmatic with the very rare adult form of CF just to make life more fun! I lost a half sister to CF).

At 8 weeks last time I was starting to walk (with the crutches) covering 2 miles at the start. By 4 months I could do 8 miles with both crutches. Everyone has already said in improving faster than last time. I'd told my surgeon I'd be happy if I was only half as good again following this surgery. Amazingly I'm actually better yet (no inpatient rehab this time, I did too well on the ward to qualify for it! ) So I guess I know it's up to me. Plus being on a farm means I'm out everyday. Just checking the post is ½ mile walk! Lol.

I have no plans to extend what I've done this week. My current plan is to increase my daily from 15 minutes to 25-30 minutes (split treadmill & recumbent exercise bike). I'll only do something bigger at the weekend when I've someone around to help out. I need to work on the strength in my knees. So steps and starting to add resistance in the recumbent exercise bike are my next move along with stretching exercises. I've also got an US on the wound in the morning to check out a painful lump.

Lol, I guess you're shaking your head thinking too much? But I want to run.... (metaphorically speaking).

Yep. 15 months ago I was still using the wheelchair. My first hip replacement got me out of it. Last time I used it was going into hospital for that operation. Everyone was really pleased with the progress I made then. I've been on crutches (and wheelchair for social/away from house) since my back went 9 years ago. At the time I was cycling 1,000 miles a month. I had a 49½ miles commute (rtn trip) doing that 3 times a week, plus a big +80 miles at the weekend with hubby and often out with a friend as well)... overnight i was paralysed down the right leg. My UK dr didn't diagnose it correctly/ at all...

Anyhow, this time I recovered even better than the first operation... and I'm off the crutches 10 days now. There are still the odd issues. The back problems won't ever clear nor will the remaining paralysis in my right leg (I was told I wouldn't get out of the wheelchair by my physio in the UK). But want some of my old life back. Some parts are gone for good, I know that. Rock climbing & mountaineering for starters. I might not ever manage to carry anything but a light day sack again, but I come from a background that was extremely active. Cycling 5 miles across country to work, swimming at lunchtime, cycling home again and then going for a walk on the common in the evening was normal. We thought nothing of a 2-3 hour walk after work, or a holiday covering 25-30 miles a day (yep, miles)... holidays were always active. It was normal for us and I was always around other very active people (usually ex special forces)... by the way, hubby and I were both diagnosed with severe OA in 2 joints each within 6 weeks of each other! It is possible we were too active.

I want to get back on my feet and get some part of that life back. I guess that's the difference. I need to be active. I can't hack not being able to walk freely and any distance and it has always been how I've controlled my asthma (I'm a severe asthmatic with the very rare adult form of CF just to make life more fun! I lost a half sister to CF).

At 8 weeks last time I was starting to walk (with the crutches) covering 2 miles at the start. By 4 months I could do 8 miles with both crutches. Everyone has already said in improving faster than last time. I'd told my surgeon I'd be happy if I was only half as good again following this surgery. Amazingly I'm actually better yet (no inpatient rehab this time, I did too well on the ward to qualify for it! ) So I guess I know it's up to me. Plus being on a farm means I'm out everyday. Just checking the post is ½ mile walk! Lol.

I have no plans to extend what I've done this week. My current plan is to increase my daily from 15 minutes to 25-30 minutes (split treadmill & recumbent exercise bike). I'll only do something bigger at the weekend when I've someone around to help out. I need to work on the strength in my knees. So steps and starting to add resistance in the recumbent exercise bike are my next move along with stretching exercises. I've also got an US on the wound in the morning to check out a painful lump.

Lol, I guess you're shaking your head thinking too much? But I want to run.... (metaphorically speaking).
I admire the enthusiasm and the determination and don't doubt you'll get to where you want to be and yes I am thinking thats "too much" but really it isn't a bad plan so long as its paced correctly 👍
And that is the key. You know when you're endurance cycling the mental discipline to stick at the correct pace will over distance see you triumph while others drop back. This is the same thing.
If you overload it before properly healed or worse cause yourself injury pushing too fast too quickly you'll be moving away from your health goal not towards it and that is miserable.

Thing is I can tell you already know all of this but sometimes especially when we desire something badly we need a gentle reminder that your brain not your heart must rule this one.
Bet you can do a good line in mental discipline too.

Back
Top Bottom