Your Photos

I consider it a thread for photos other than food or pets (as there are other threads specifically designed for such photos).

Of course, I could be wrong.

I could use some guidance here. Is "Photos" supposed to be limited to FOOD related photos?
impish

'Your photos' means just that - any photo which you have taken of anything. In practice, most of the photos in this thread are not of dishes which members' have cooked themselves as they usually post such photos in other threads.

As the original post says:

I thought it might be nice to see pictures from everyone from all around the world, but that are not necessarily food related. Pictures of where you live, or places you've been, or any picture you've taken that you'd like to share.

Last edited:
It looks lovely and green considering the heat where you are.

It's a fruit growing area along with hops and famous also for grapes. The French door view if you look at the top it's covered in grapes. The place had horses there so kids were down there every day patting the horses. We rented it for 12 days. My son and I go halves.

That looks lovely
The tuis have amazing whistling sounds. They were rare but making a comeback. Was the closest I've ever seen them, they have a white patch on their neck, one was recently discovered as a white one. Explained by some expert as a imbalance somewhere.?

Russ

As far as I know @impish … you can post whatever you like in threads within the Cooking Bites Café sub-forum, it doesn't have to be restricted to food-related topics.
@Wandering Bob
I shall take that to heart then! I am fairly bursting with things to show "the world", as thus far only I have been scrutinizing them.

@Wandering Bob
My shoulders began to give out after I reached my late '60s. First few seasons I cut and split using my 10 lb. sledge and splitting wedges. Ax splitting was impossible as nearly all the trees available were oak and walnut. My Dad had told me as a kid, he having grown up on a variety of farms, Red Oak splits easily, but White Oak is rough. How right he was! The worst winter there we consumed 20 cords. The last few years I used a 28 ton gasoline/hydraulic splitter.

Early on, I realized my numerous hobby pursuits, as well as keeping vehicles running, would require a shop building. As we both had quit our jobs in Phoenix, and had none in Missouri, as I awaited 62 and the magical Social Security vault doors to swing open, spending had to kept to a minimum. Wanting masonry construction, concrete block was $1.25 each, and I needed several thousand, so began 4-wheeling up and down that creek, gathering appropriately-sized river rock. The building was 24 X 32 feet, walls 12 inches thick, fully reinforced verticall and horizontally with a grid of 1/2-inch reinforcing steel on 2-foot centers. Here's the walls being worked on:
img14711.jpg
The mountain of rocks I had collected is in the background.

Below, we are setting a window. My wife often took a turn setting rock!
img05110.jpg

The foundation footing came first. Then the floor slab. Had no idea how many rocks I'd need, so gathered plenty!
img01710.jpg

The rock-laying finished!
img01910.jpg

Starting the roof:
img26810.jpg

That fool building the roof was 60 years old. Rafters were 2X8, raised in place using my automotive "cherry picker".
img02010.jpg

Working alone, something I was well-accustomed to, completion took nearly a year. The next project was design and construction of a live steam, working scale-model locomotive. My track is visible entering the shop. One of my woodpiles visible, that one for the shop stove.
woodpi11.jpg
That's an awesome build. I built my second story with my son when he was 15 and a mate who,is a builder oversaw everything. Great knowing you built stuff.

Russ

IMG_0989.JPG

Walking down a street in Chesterfield yesterday when I looked up and saw this twisted spire! Apparently, it was built in the C14th at the time of The Black Death. It is thought that the expert builders died of the plague before completing it, and that it was finished off by amateurs who forgot to brace it properly. It leans 9' 5" from true.

View attachment 21708
Walking down a street in Chesterfield yesterday when I looked up and saw this twisted spire! Apparently, it was built in the C14th at the time of The Black Death. It is thought that the expert builders died of the plague before completing it, and that it was finished off by amateurs who forgot to brace it properly. It leans 9' 5" from true.

Yes - I've stayed in Chesterfield. You also pass it on the train and can see the spire from the window when you travel to Sheffield (I think).

I can relate to that @impish … two-thirds of my large house here is heated by one woodburning stove (although I do light a second one if it gets very cold) and the amount of work that goes into chainsawing and splitting logs isn't to be under-estimated. I try to do most of the work in September, but in reality it's a year-round task. I'm 66 years old and still capable of doing it (and to be honest it's the only exercise I get in the depths of the winter) but each year it seems just that little bit harder...
I too know that chore . It's the height of summer here and I'm already looking at the 10 tonnes of wood I'll need for the winter fuel supply. Hubby cuts to size , I split if I can actually pick it up. Australia only seems to burn eucalyptus wood which is either hard, very hard or simply impossible wood . There is no soft wood like pine. I look back at UK wood with envy. There most stoves were either wood only or multifuel, so wood and coal which burns at a much higher temperatures. In Australia it is wood only because there is no sale of coal domestically .it was banned many years ago . I love how quickly roads blocked by fallen branches (not trees but branches which are big enough to be a tree by themselves) , I love how quickly they are cleared . People line up (well not quite but that's how it feels ) to cut up the wood and clear it into the back of their pick-up with trailer and it just disappears ...
I've only ever lived on wood burning stoves (slow combustion stove in Australian) or open fires, so it's a never ending chore which had definitely gotten harder in the last 4 years since my back went on me.

Hubby just needs to choose and buy the button now. He chose the pattern and the yarn. Decided on the length he wanted (a bum warmer as he put it ) and even where the pockets were to be. I had 1.5m of wool left having baled on the very last row in the buttonhole band which was meant to have 10 rows but I didn't have enough wool left, so it only has 9. Luckily you can hardly tell. It's a discontinued wool (about a decade ago ) that my step father choose for a jumper my mother never made him . When she moved house, she put virtually all of her yarn into a box and posted it all to me here in Australia with a note saying please make better use of than I managed to. So I did .

It's also the first Arran cardigan I've made .
20190106094358_IMG_1758.JPG

You reminded me of mum, sitting in her chair with the needles clicking away. She knitted for our local families. And made pjs etc for the neighbours. Great memories.

Russ

You reminded me of mum, sitting in her chair with the needles clicking away. She knitted for our local families. And made pjs etc for the neighbours. Great memories.

Russ
I'm not good at idle hands. In the past when hubby was away I would have sat and carved/whittled whilst watching TV in the evening. Hubby doesn't like the mess even though I'd put down a groundsheet first. Nowadays when he's home I knit or spin instead .

Back
Top Bottom