Your priorities if made homeless

Termyn8or

Local time
1:21 PM
So, a hypothetical situation. You are put out of your home. You have your money but nothing else. Of course you rent a place, but then to furnish it.

Civil unrest is not the only way this can happen. Say a fire burns the old place. I had that, it is not easy.

To furnish a new place I would start with the kitchen. Stove, nuke, toaster oven, fridge of course.

But how would you do it ? Like, for one you might want a table and chairs first. Say a place has the stove you want but will take a few days to deliver it, so then the other things first ?

T

I may have named this wrong, I am after just what would be your priorities.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first priority would be a decent bed. I'm too old to be sleeping on the floor.

Probably a TV next, then the kitchen. I can eat out until I get the kitchen squared away.

I'm assuming I grabbed some clothes when I was de-homed, so I didn't count that. Same goes for transportation.

My first priority would be a decent bed. I'm too old to be sleeping on the floor.

Probably a TV next, then the kitchen. I can eat out until I get the kitchen squared away.

I'm assuming I grabbed some clothes when I was de-homed, so I didn't count that. Same goes for transportation.

Yeah, nobody said anything about your car.

T

Trip to the beer store and then some time to think about my next move...tomorrow..
Agreed. Remember the big blackout ? The power was out on about the whole east side of the country. So drove home from work, almost amazed by how many delays there were. People who had planned to fill up on the way home couldn't, lt that be a lesson. No electricity the pumps do not pump. And the buying with the CC was out of course. We had a local beer store that was open, owner standing there with a a gun, and I got few cases of beer. I had brought cash. But i also almost always kept my tank full. But that didn't pay off when my car got stolen, they used it on a job, got busted and as they were going downtown my car was left running and ran almost the whole tank out !

Then I got a locking gas cap.

T

Some of the wonderful posters here know some of my story but I will share it with you. You see, I don't have to imagine what that's like because it happened to me. I literally had to start over from scratch as I lost EVERYTHING I ever owned when my ex-husband kidnapped our children, emptied the bank accounts and changed the locks on our house when I was in the hospital. Luckily, I drove myself to the hospital or I probably wouldn't have had a vehicle either. I don't have a supportive and loving family so I was completely on my own.

Fast forward 10-11 months and I was approved for an apartment. I had very little money as I sold my wedding ring just to survive during that time. Call it a miracle or hope or whatever you want to name it...the property manager approved my application even though I didn't have an income. She said she could tell that I was honest and decent and was going to take a chance on me. I had a pending application for disability so she charged me a very nominal amount for my monthly rent.

I had less than a few thousand dollars left so I couldn't replace everything all at once. I bought...

Air mattress
Sheets & a blanket
Microwave
Television (I don't watch television but am charged for cable in my rent so thought I should use it ;-)
Bath towels
Shower curtain
Cleaning supplies
Fan (don't laugh. You have NO idea how brutal menopause is! LOL)

The property manager put out a notice to residents asking them to help me. Someone gave me an almost brand new couch. Another neighbor gave me dishes, a few pots and pans and cutlery. Another neighbor gave me a coffee table and futon. Another gave me a chest of drawers. A handful of other neighbors gave me food. I often cried when I was alone as here were these people that didn't even know me helping. It was a weird feeling. I'm used to being the one reaching out to others. I had never experienced it the other way around. ;-) And, yet, my parents are rich and they would not help me at all. I know they are under no obligation to do so and they've never been supportive but it hurt at the time.

I was finally approved for disability a little over a year ago. I bought...

Queen bed
Under-bed storage containers (I don't have a lot of closet space)
Cast iron skillets
Calphalon cookware
Juice extractor
Toaster oven
Air fryer
Recliner

And, if all that isn't awesome, I found this website and met all the amazing people here. I never would have believed in a million years that I would feel so accepted and "heard" on an international cooking forum of all places. LOL Every single day, I'm grateful for all the women and men here that have not only helped me learn more about cooking and baking (go back and read my crazy questions about my phobia of yeast ;-) they've helped me stay the course when all I wanted to do is give up. I don't believe I could have hand-picked a better ensemble and there just isn't enough time or space to explain to you how much that means to me.

This is probably way more than you ever wanted to know but my heart is telling me to post it because somebody, somewhere will happen upon this conversation and I hope that he or she can find strength, love and understanding just as I have.

Some of the wonderful posters here know some of my story but I will share it with you. You see, I don't have to imagine what that's like because it happened to me. I literally had to start over from scratch as I lost EVERYTHING I ever owned when my ex-husband kidnapped our children, emptied the bank accounts and changed the locks on our house when I was in the hospital. Luckily, I drove myself to the hospital or I probably wouldn't have had a vehicle either. I don't have a supportive and loving family so I was completely on my own.

Fast forward 10-11 months and I was approved for an apartment. I had very little money as I sold my wedding ring just to survive during that time. Call it a miracle or hope or whatever you want to name it...the property manager approved my application even though I didn't have an income. She said she could tell that I was honest and decent and was going to take a chance on me. I had a pending application for disability so she charged me a very nominal amount for my monthly rent.

I had less than a few thousand dollars left so I couldn't replace everything all at once. I bought...

Air mattress
Sheets & a blanket
Microwave
Television (I don't watch television but am charged for cable in my rent so thought I should use it ;-)
Bath towels
Shower curtain
Cleaning supplies
Fan (don't laugh. You have NO idea how brutal menopause is! LOL)

The property manager put out a notice to residents asking them to help me. Someone gave me an almost brand new couch. Another neighbor gave me dishes, a few pots and pans and cutlery. Another neighbor gave me a coffee table and futon. Another gave me a chest of drawers. A handful of other neighbors gave me food. I often cried when I was alone as here were these people that didn't even know me helping. It was a weird feeling. I'm used to being the one reaching out to others. I had never experienced it the other way around. ;-) And, yet, my parents are rich and they would not help me at all. I know they are under no obligation to do so and they've never been supportive but it hurt at the time.

I was finally approved for disability a little over a year ago. I bought...

Queen bed
Under-bed storage containers (I don't have a lot of closet space)
Cast iron skillets
Calphalon cookware
Juice extractor
Toaster oven
Air fryer
Recliner

And, if all that isn't awesome, I found this website and met all the amazing people here. I never would have believed in a million years that I would feel so accepted and "heard" on an international cooking forum of all places. LOL Every single day, I'm grateful for all the women and men here that have not only helped me learn more about cooking and baking (go back and read my crazy questions about my phobia of yeast ;-) they've helped me stay the course when all I wanted to do is give up. I don't believe I could have hand-picked a better ensemble and there just isn't enough time or space to explain to you how much that means to me.

This is probably way more than you ever wanted to know but my heart is telling me to post it because somebody, somewhere will happen upon this conversation and I hope that he or she can find strength, love and understanding just as I have.

I know how bad menopause can be, as are the people around me, I want windows open even though TVC is cold, I ask for the air-con to be switched on in the office-my boss is wearing a fleece...full on fuzzy brain isn't fun :headshake:

I know how bad menopause can be, as are the people around me, I want windows open even though TVC is cold, I ask for the air-con to be switched on in the office-my boss is wearing a fleece...full on fuzzy brain isn't fun :headshake:
I have never really been heat tolerant and I pass out when I get too hot. It sounds like your office is the same as my place when my caregiver is here. She has on slippers and a sweater and I'm wearing a tank top and shorts with the fan blasting me in the face. ;-)

I think I've been going through menopause for nearly 55 years!

Back
Top Bottom