Yucca Root

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:00 PM
I have an upcoming spice coulis recipe that is waiting on galangal root to arrive via US Post which is delayed by the bad weather in the USA.

But while waiting on that, I visited the store to see what they had. No galangal. I thought as much. But they did have tumeric, ginger and a lot of the larger yucca root, which all appear outwardly similar, as they are all rhizomes.

I was wondering if any members have cooked yucca root. I googled and found things like yucca fries and some Caribbean and Latin American dishes.

Craig likes yuca with mojo in particular. I don't care for it for a couple of reasons.
One is the taste. It's very starchy tasting to me and just unpleasant. Secondly, it's a PITA to peel and clean. Even if you buy it frozen and already peeled, the tough fibrous stringy center still has to be cleaned out in every brand we've tried. Craig usually boils it and then mixes with mojo or cooks it as part of a pork pot roast that is cooked with stock and mojo.

Yuca fries/Yuca frito are the most popular in these parts, as we have a lot of Central and South American immigrants. It's ok to me, just like a very starchy potato in texture, but even milder in flavor. It's a staple, and I've really only ever had it fried that I like. Boiled was very bland, and needed a lot of salt and help, like the mojo sauce it came with.

My fave use of yuca is yuca flour (tapioca/cassava flour). Pao de Queijo, Pan de yuca, Cassava cheese bread, whatever you wanna call it, it's simple, fast and easy.

Pan de yuca or cassava cheese bread - Laylita's Recipes

I have an upcoming spice coulis recipe that is waiting on galangal root to arrive via US Post which is delayed by the bad weather in the USA.

But while waiting on that, I visited the store to see what they had. No galangal. I thought as much. But they did have tumeric, ginger and a lot of the larger yucca root, which all appear outwardly similar, as they are all rhizomes.

I was wondering if any members have cooked yucca root. I googled and found things like yucca fries and some Caribbean and Latin American dishes.

I buy frozen galangal from any Asian store. Havnt heard of yucca root. I used it in my Thai curry paste last week.
Russ

I believe I ate yuca at least once, but I'm not sure if I liked it.
The supermarkets in my area sell them sometimes and I'm always to shy to buy them, they're are a good alternative for pasta, potatoes and rice. Stay healthy

I received my galangal today ...

GalangalDryPackaged01.jpg

That means that I can look forward to doing a recipe using it, - as soon as I get some macadamia nuts.

Back
Top Bottom