Recipe Yuletide Banana Bread

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
1:03 PM
As usual, I have two bananas that are going bad, so I'm going to make this bread later. I was going to make it as is, but when I pulled out my bread pans to look for the appropriate size, it dawned on me that I could make two smaller breads, rather than one large one. I owe a friend a dessert anyway and both she and her husband love coconut, so this would be perfect. She doesn't eat much starch, so the smaller size loaf will be sufficient for them. I don't have any nuts in the house, so I'm going to substitute Craisins for the macadamia nuts which aren't my favorite anyway. I love how rich and nutritious this bread sounds. What's your favorite quick bread recipe?

Here's the original recipe (from Taste of Home, one of my favorite sources for recipes), before my substitutions.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole macadamia nuts, divided
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
And, here are the mixing and baking instructions:

1. In a food processor or blender, process 1/2 cup macadamia nuts until ground; set aside. Chop remaining nuts; set aside. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and ground nuts; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in bananas, raisins, coconut and chopped nuts
  2. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Obviously, I won't have to chop nuts, since I'm not using any. I'm going to add the Craisins in at the end, with the bananas, raisins, and coconut. I'll watch the time, because I might need to cook less, since the pans are small, although there will be two in the oven at the same time.

Attachments

• yuletide banana bread.jpg
    yuletide banana bread.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 304
I love the idea of subbing in craisins - never thought to do that, and I love both banana bread and craisins! I think craisins would be a wonderful add in for a festive banana bread!

I'd probably have to say that banana bread is my favorite, I also love making pumpkin chocolate chip bread which is sooo delicious (and rather dangerous too, it's one of those things where stopping at one piece is hard!)

Have you made it with craisins before? I think it is an interesting substitution. It is not one I would have thought of. I have always used some kind of nuts, depending what I had available at the time. I will have to remember to try the craisins next time.

I made banana bread at Thanksgiving. I used self rising flour,,,which I wouldn't recommend. There was something slightly off about the taste. Your recipe sounds good though. I like the additon of coconut and macadamia nuts. I think that would make it good.

Have you made it with craisins before? I think it is an interesting substitution. It is not one I would have thought of. I have always used some kind of nuts, depending what I had available at the time. I will have to remember to try the craisins next time.

This was my first time making this recipe, but I have used craisins in banana bread and scones before, with good success. I did end up using the two pans, rather than the one, and shared the second loaf with my friend. I cut the cooking time to around 40 minutes, and baked the loaves together on a cookie sheet on the second from the bottom rack position in the oven, so the tops wouldn't burn. I greased the pans and dusted them with cocoa powder, to give it a little richness, and that was just perfect.

I've already had two pieces, so it's a good thing I gave away the second loaf. @L_B I rarely have nuts on hand because they tend to be expensive, and when I do, they don't last long, because I love them, although macadamia aren't my favorite. I do tend to substitute fruit for nuts in dishes like this for that reason, but I love nuts in cooked dishes, as well.

@cupcakechef The craisins are so yummy. I store them in the refrigerator, but take them out a few hours before I'm going to be using them, so they will warm up to room temperature and soften up a bit. For some reason, I really love the combination of the craisins, raisins, coconut, banana, and just a hint of cocoa. It feels healthy, without being too rich or sweet. @kgord I rarely have anything but all purpose, since I can just adjust it to be self-rising, but I'll definitely keep that in mind, just in case I end up with some self-rising. I tend to buy the basic, and adjust from there, since I can't afford several different types.

@cupcakechef The craisins are so yummy. I store them in the refrigerator, but take them out a few hours before I'm going to be using them, so they will warm up to room temperature and soften up a bit. For some reason, I really love the combination of the craisins, raisins, coconut, banana, and just a hint of cocoa. It feels healthy, without being too rich or sweet.

I love natural sweetness like that. It's a lot easier indulging in a piece of something like that which is naturally sweet and not overboard with a ton of sugar.

I love natural sweetness like that. It's a lot easier indulging in a piece of something like that which is naturally sweet and not overboard with a ton of sugar.

Yes, definitely. I'm on sweetness overload after Christmas and New Years, and don't want to even think about sweets, at least not once I'm finished baking the cookies I'm about to make and ship. I snagged a good deal on Butterfinger chips after Christmas, and am going to make some nice cookies for family and friends. I love Butterfingers, but even those aren't sounding as good as they usually would. I definitely need to focus on the savory foods/treats for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom