Yummy pineapple

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
11:53 PM
I just purchased a pineapple from the grocery store because they were on sale for $0.99 each and I could not pass up that kind of a deal. I waited until it was fully ripe and have now cut it up into chunks. I am wondering what I should do with it besides eat it plain? Anyone have any good pineapple relish or chutney recipes they would like to share?

Wow, that is a fantastic deal for a pineapple! I have never seen them here for less than 2.99, and I love pineapple. I usually buy one or two per year. You could make pina colada's or a ham and pineapple pizza, or even a pineapple upside down cake. i don't know any pineapple recipes off the top of my head, but I am sure whatever you come up with, it could be delicious. How could it not be with fresh pineapple/z/

Reactions: L_B
I had this awesome pineapple pie one time at a friends house. It was delicious. I never made it myself though. I usually just eat pineapple plain or in a fruit salad. Of course it always goes on he ham. I do like the idea of the ham and pineapple pizza. I have had it but its another thing I never made myself. My family is really a fan of it but I enjoy it every once in awhile.

Oh man - I don't have a relish or chutney recipe for you, but I just had to comment to say how jealous I am about the fact you could get a pineapple that cheap! Here, they're anywhere from $5-$10 (US dollar equivalent from yen) which means that fresh pineapple is almost a luxury item for us!!

I have no chutney recipe but I cut the pineapple into rings and grill them with the cheese with just enough charring. I will then use them to top my burgers. I think they taste good I use them as substitute for an onion

I swear that I am not trying to indulge in one-upmanship, but I bought a pineapple recently for 49p (that would be about 70 cents in US terms) in my local Co-op. I always have a quick check to see what is coming up to the sell-by date and there is usually something that proves a good buy. This week, I got a bag of five large oranges for 49p. Certainly in the UK, most supermarkets have a section for stuff they need to get rid of quickly.

Back on the subject of pineapple, one problem we have in the UK is the distance fruits like this have to travel. It was, therefore, a revelation to me when I visited a fruit farm in Ghana and had fresh pineapple freshly cut. I was sitting there talking to the manager and this chap walked in with a tray. I was expecting tea or coffee, but what we got was pineapple as fresh as it comes. It's hard not to start drooling over the thought even now.

I swear that I am not trying to indulge in one-upmanship, but I bought a pineapple recently for 49p (that would be about 70 cents in US terms) in my local Co-op
The day I can find a pineapple for 7US cents I could buy a ton them by the dozen even if to give away. If I find one for less than 5US ($10 US roughly),I should count myself very fortunate.

Fresh pineapples are pretty expensive here, so I tend to use canned a lot more. I just made a batch of ricotta cheese and used a little of the pineapple juice while making it, because I am planning to make a dessert with it. I've been looking around for recipes to make, and have come up with a few. I don't know if you're looking to make an actual dessert, but I just came across this and it looks absolutely scrumptious! http://www.ciaoitalia.com/seasons/season-2300/episode-2305/roasted-pineapple-with-ricotta-cream

I also buy a whole pineapple from the market because it is fresh and with better quality than those in the supermarket. Pineapple was recommended to me for my dieting. After eating the fresh pineapple, I would slice the leftover in small chunks (I think they call it tidbits) and place it in the freezer. When frozen, it is like eating ice cream without the cream. It is nice to eat frozen pineapple during summer. And if you wish, you can make ice candy out of the excess pineapple by crushing the pineapple, putting some water and sugar before freezing.

The fruit farm I visited in Ghana...the first time I had seen a pineapple on its plant.

accra4.JPG

I don't have a recipe to share, I just eat the pineapple, fresh pineapple is so good I also add them to my smoothie drinks.

You could try a dish like chicken and pineapple like our mom used to make. She'd sear the pineapple to bring out the taste, then take it out and cook the chicken and veggies, adding the pineapple at the last minute. She also made a pineapple boat recipe that was awesome, since each person would get a half of pineapple. Her pineapple boat simply had alot of different fruits in it, berries, watermelon, orange slices, cantaloupe. I have seen dishes that had savory foods in the pineapple though.

Back
Top Bottom