Zabaione / Zabaglione / Sabayon (Sauce)

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:54 PM
Zabaione (Zabaglione) is most often a dessert made from whipped egg yolks, sugar and a sweet wine, Marsala or Madiera. Other sweet liiqueurs like cognac might also be used. I say most often, because zabaione can be a sauce.

I might try using zabaione as a substitute for Hollandaise sauce on eggs Benedict, for example. How well it might do for a past sauce, I can only imagine.

How might you use zabaione as a sauce?

Last edited:
zabaione/sabayon is normally fairly sweet and so have to say I've never considered using it in a savoury context... maybe an element of UK/US division as you guys do mix sweet and savoury more than us. I'm not sure I can imagine it working with eggs Benedict but happy for you to report back.

zabaione/sabayon is normally fairly sweet and so have to say I've never considered using it in a savoury context... maybe an element of UK/US division as you guys do mix sweet and savoury more than us. I'm not sure I can imagine it working with eggs Benedict but happy for you to report back.

I agree. Its a dessert dish and sweet. In the past I've made it many times for dinner party dessert.

Mod.comment flyinglentris - your spellings are incorrect. Its zabaglione, zabaione or sabayon.

Having given this a bit of thought I reckon you can make a savoury sabayon by substituting dry white wine for the masala.

Possible with a very dry wine,but what about all the sugar?

And no sugar. I did a bit of digging. In fact other liquid such as grapefruit juice can be used in place of wine.

You can also make a savoury sabayon; leave out the sugar, exchange the Marsala for white wine or lemon juice and add a pinch of salt. Savoury sabayons are great served with fish dishes.
How to Make a Sabayon - Great British Chefshttps://www.greatbritishchefs.com › how-to-cook › how-t...

Also mentioned here:
Sabayon: The Custardy Italian Sauce You Can Make Without a Recipe

I also found a great recipe from Michelin starred chef Chris Horridge, which uses lemon juice.

Sous Vide Monkfish Wrapped In Parma Ham With Cockles

There are probably some unusual opportunities to use a zabaione sauce with Chinese foods which already have many examples of sweet sauces. In fact, Chinese cuisine is the place to look to find examples of how a zabaione sauce may be used in other cuisines. A zabaione dipping sauce is something to consider and that may be applicable to other global cuisines as well. Glazes for meats is another consideration, - instead of Peking duck, try sabayon duck and instead of pineapple glazed ham, sabayon ham.

There are probably some unusual opportunities to use a zabaione sauce with Chinese foods which already have many examples of sweet sauces. In fact, Chinese cuisine is the place to look to find examples of how a zabaione sauce may be used in other cuisines. A zabaione dipping sauce is something to consider and that may be applicable to other global cuisines as well. Glazes for meats is another consideration, - instead of Peking duck, try sabayon duck and instead of pineapple glazed ham, sabayon ham.
Interesting concepts for sure and SE Asia for example use sugar in many savory foods. Sabayon is a pretty fragile thing and glazing isn't something where a sabayon would translate well. Peking duck is more of technique served with a pancake with a spicy thick spread of hoisin, cornstarch and 5 spice basically, I mean you could sub the spread with sabayon, but why, would be the question, it's pretty difficult to improve peking duck as it is now. Each to their own. Cheers.

If you can call a hollandaise a sabayon, then all is good like those links MG posted. But if your having eggs or asparagus and your heating eggs in a double boiler and your wondering if you should add sugar or clarified butter then it's "Houston we have a problem"

Yeah - the recipe I linked to above has butter which technically, probably makes it Hollandaise. Sabayon has no butter. But I can't see why a savoury sabayon couldn't be made without butter.

Yeah - the recipe I linked to above has butter which technically, probably makes it Hollandaise. Sabayon has no butter. But I can't see why a savoury sabayon couldn't be made without butter.
It's basically an exercise in a change can be objectively better or considered an improvement. Similarly we could exchange a savory cream sauce for creme anglaise, so can we make a creme anglaise without sugar?

The question shouldn't be whether we can make a hollandaise without butter or a creme anglaise without sugar, it's imperative that we understand the difference so it doesn't eventually get muddled in years to come. These are classics for a good reason. Of course if we follow this logic then why couldn't we call a sabayon a hollandaise.

Whisking egg yolks and wine is neither a sabayon or a hollandaise even though the chef may call it one of those. I really can't even imagine serving that because I've tasted the whisked yolks before adding clarified butter and it really isn't something I would ever serve or even consider myself, but each to their own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom