Zester

zestery

Veteran
Local time
2:10 AM
So I'm going to get a zester, after failing to get more than mush using the grater.

Any recommendations? Are they all pretty much the same?

I bought a zester recently when I started baking lemon drizzle cake. The ones I looked at all seemed to work in the same way so I went for the one that appeared to be the most substantial and all stainless steel.

I never had any luck with a grater.

I bought a zester recently when I started baking lemon drizzle cake. The ones I looked at all seemed to work in the same way so I went for the one that appeared to be the most substantial and all stainless steel.

Good to know. I think I'm going to get an OXO one since I've had good luck with that brand and it looks pretty dummy proof.

Ahh yes, the Zester. I had some recipe books that always called for zesting and yes, without a zester you may be getting something not really "Zested."

But I couldn't find one in some of the bigger stores where you can't really get personal service and the staff knows less than you. I have a grocery with a very large section for kitchen tools but no Zester.

Then I discovered the technical term for Zester - microplane grater - well now, that's putting some meaning to a term. And so I went online and found a microplane grater and ordered one. I have a lot of tools for woodworking so microplane grater made much more sense to me. Kind of like a wood planer for food. :wink:

Nevertheless, my recipes calling for zesting or microplane grating are now turning out much better, and more delicious.

Oooh, that has turned up all sorts of new search results. And it sounds ever so much more technical XD

[quote="Night Train, post: 1808, member: 16"

I never had any luck with a grater.[/quote]

Use a fresh, hard lemon / lime :thumbsup:

[quote="Night Train, post: 1808, member: 16"

Use a fresh, hard lemon / lime :thumbsup:[/quote]

Hmmm, hadn't thought about the fruit itself being part of the problem. Good point.

Use a fresh, hard lemon / lime :thumbsup:

I often have to use what I can get though.
clear.png

Back
Top Bottom