Zucchini Noodles

turtledove

Veteran
Local time
2:06 AM
Had anybody tried out zucchini noodles? I've heard of them only recently and read a few recipes online, but I've never been bothered enough to actually try them out. I feel like the zucchini will be a lot slimier compared to the original noodles, but I could definitely be proved wrong.

(If you want to try out any zucchini noodle recipes, here's a great list to take a look at - http://paleogrubs.com/zucchini-pasta-recipes)

They seemed to be a big fad where I live, so I ended up buying a veggetti slicer (it's just one particular brand of slicer that makes the zucchini noodles).

Anyway, in the process of using it, the blade fell off into the noodles! I got a refund, but it kind of ended my zucchini noodle journey right there!

Reactions: Pat
We did the other night with some home harvested courgettes (zucchini) and it was great. We ate most of them raw before they were cooked :whistling: because freshly harvested courgettes are really tasty. The ones that did last long enough to get cooked were very nice as well. They were eaten before the noodles they were served with and I didn't think they were slimy in the slightest.

I usually just some my vegetable peeler to peel these. A quick stir fry with some garlic and ginger and these make a great alternative to carbs for me. It really isn't a big change for me because I usually like these. I do the same thing with cucumbers and eggplants. I love them done with some carrots as well. Carrots are harder, so I preboil them after slicing. Then they look so pretty and colorful.

I have been using a spiralizer for years. I find that if you cook the veggie noodles, they turn to mush. I add the noodles raw to whatever sauce or other ingredients after they are cooked. That is enough to warm the noodles and not cook them.

Yep! I agree. the first time I made them I had sautéed the kind of a flash fry, with olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper. then plated and sauced. I think the best thing for me was to just throw them into the hot sauce and in a few seconds they are perfect and picking up the sauce flavor.

I think you can use jicama based noodles as well. I think they might be more tasty than Zuchini noodles but I am not certain. I guess experimenting with differerent types of veggie noodles might be a good idea. I have used spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti noodles. It is OK. I am sure it has a lot of fiber and a good deal fewer calories.

Mmmm... @kgord I hadn't thought about trying jicama noodles! It would definitely be more tasty as zucchini is rather tasteless. That is good for some dishes, but certain dishes would benefit from a little pizzaz! I can't wait to try it!!

Back
Top Bottom