Recipe Zuppa forte o zuppa di soffritto.

Saranak

Local time
3:55 AM
Ciao everyone,

This is a recipe for a very thick and hearty soup, great for a winter supper. This is made with pork lights (Heart and lung) and liver. If you do not like the idea of the lights you can of course just use liver. I also use Guanciale as it gives a real richness to the soup. All three of my sons love it however, my daughter was never that keen. I apologise for not adding pictures however, my hands shake too much so all I get is a fuzzy mess.
Serves 6.
You will need -
1 kilo of pigs liver and lights, you should be able to get lights from your butcher.
1 litre of Passata, make your own with a Mouli if you can. San Marzano tomatoes are preferable however, any good quality tomato will suffice.
14 g of tomato puree.
50 g of lard.
3 hot peppers, or to taste.
500 g Guanciale.
2 0r 3 bay leaves.
I 150 ml good red wine.
Salt and pepper.
Method -
  1. First you need to make a salsa forte, mix the tomato puree and peppers, chop the peppers small.
  2. Wash of the liver and lights in cold water then cut into bite size pieces. Slice the Guanciale into similar size pieces.
  3. Put the lard in a heavy bottomed pan on a moderate heat then add the liver, lights, Guanciale and wine.
  4. When evenly browned and the alcohol has evaporated add the bay leaves and the salsa forte, stir until the sauce becomes thick.
  5. Add the Passata, season well, cook for around 30 - 40 minutes.
  6. Serve on a bed of toasted ciabatta or focaccia.
Although a soup you can use as a pasta sauce also, simply cook longer until the sauce becomes thicker. I generally add a small handful of fresh parsley to garnish.

Hope that you enjoy.

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom