What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

Said chicken and roasty.
Pumpkin kumara parsnip carrot and spuds.
Sides mint peas and cabbages
10/10

'Russ

20240516_165540.jpg

Well at least most of the food outlets in the airports have decent food since many of them are chains. And they have booze so people don't quite care as much if it's not as good as the one they eat at back home, LOL! I have only ridden a few ferry boats and I am pretty sure we ate at a restaurant before boarding and again later upon arrival at our destination. That was when we crossed the Bay of Fundy in the Gulf of Maine on our trip in the Maritimes of Canada (specifically the provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia--we didn't make it to Prince Edward Island). That was a fabulous trip! That ferry boat was big enough to hold tractor-trailer trucks on it and there were several in the docking bay.
I really don't think the UK or most of Europe have cracked the good port experience thing at all.. or even care too!

There are some chains but the foods not great and pretty much never gluten free.
The best thing that's happened to most of them is the appearance of a Waitrose or Marks and Spencer concession where you can pay double for the same thing picked up en route.

The plymouth port is a prime example.
You go through check in then stand around forever (in can be up to 2 hrs) with not a single place to get anything to eat or drink, just tarmac and other vehicles!

I think the ports may prioritise a speedy turn around and don't want people faffing around with food and drink when they finally call you through 🤷‍♀️
Or they know the hungrier and thirstier you are the more of their price hiked food you'll buy!

There is usually a higher end restaurant on ferries with the full white linen and smooth french service but they are so un-accommodating about gluten free I'm made to feel like a total pita and honestly the foods not all that!

I had two workmen digging a trench in the front garden (to eventually install a drainage canal), the gardener (who was up a 10 ft ladder in the blazing sun, removing all the weeds from the wall) and the cleaner.
We pay them $25 a day, (85F in the shade, probably 100F in the sun) which is about the going rate.
They come from 20, 25 or even 30 miles away; get on a bus at 4.30am, then another bus, then walk a mile or two to get here.
I made a fresh tomato sauce with basil and oregano, pasta, topped with parmesan, and a fresh green salad. Cost me about $2 a head. I think that's the least I can do.

Back
Top Bottom