What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

Here people take them back but some don't shove them up into the coin chain so that others can take them for free, or they hand them off to other approaching shoppers. The whole idea is to save the cost of having cart corrals and paying employees to go out and gather them!
I remember when ALDI first showed up here when I was a teenager - the whole quarter-in-the-cart thing was a huge turnoff, and was seen as a way to inconvenience the customer and to trick them into bringing the carts back instead of hiring a teenager or two to collect them.

Nowadays, especially since shopping there is very trendy right now, people largely seem to have gotten over it, but the whole quarter thing seems to still either confuse or anger people.

We get some of the handing off of carts, and some people have a quarter ready to give directly to the person, some donā€™t and itā€™s just a ā€œpay if forwardā€ thing, but then there are others (and one particular person in my family) who feel the need to guilt others into giving them their cartā€¦ā€Oh gosh, I donā€™t have a quarter, would you mind?ā€¦ā€

Iā€™ve had, and more than once, a person intercept me on the way back to the carts and simply grab mine and say, ā€œIā€™ll take that, thanks!ā€ or something similar, no quarter, no sob story. Depending on my mood at the time, they either get the cart or a bemused look and ā€œBut what about my quarter?!ā€ comment from me. :laugh:

but then there are others (and one particular person in my family) who feel the need to guilt others into giving them their cartā€¦ā€Oh gosh, I donā€™t have a quarter, would you mind?ā€¦ā€

Iā€™ve had, and more than once, a person intercept me on the way back to the carts and simply grab mine and say, ā€œIā€™ll take that, thanks!ā€ or something similar, no quarter, no sob story. Depending on my mood at the time, they either get the cart or a bemused look and ā€œBut what about my quarter?!ā€ comment from me. :laugh:
I shop at Aldi regularly and never have I seen that kind of behavior. We only live a few hours from each other, how can peoples' attitudes be so vastly different living in the same state?

I shop at Aldi regularly and never have I seen that kind of behavior. We only live a few hours from each other, how can peoples' attitudes be so vastly different living in the same state?
Iā€™m just guessing, but I think itā€™s a holdover from the initial distrust of the practice, so itā€™s a passive-aggressive way to ā€œbeatā€ the store at their own game.

My sister, sheā€™s the one who wonā€™t put in a quarter to save her life, if she can help it. Sheā€™ll see if she can find a fella coming out, especially an older one, bat her eyes, and sweetly say, ā€œOh heavens me, I think Iā€™ve forgotten my quarter! Whatā€™s a poor single mom to do?ā€ - and with her, itā€™s purely about seeing if she still ā€œhas itā€ - she does things like that quite a bit. If she needs help in a shop for anything, she wonā€™t ask another woman, if she can help it, sheā€™ll find a man and either be flirty or helpless, whatever fits her mark! :laugh:

Rode to Rumwell Farm Shop and realised I havenā€™t had Waldorf Salad in decades due to it falling out of favour and not wanting to bring nuts into the house with the allergy stuff going on.

IMG_2690.jpeg

IMG_2692.jpeg

It was so rich I managed half before bailing but I did enjoy it. Dunno if Iā€™d buy it again, felt nervous having the nuts in the house which is normally a nut free zone!

I have been looking at the packet of Tunnocks teacakes on the side for days now wishing I could have one and blow me down at Rumwell they had made their own gluten free version.

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

The chocolate was way too thick. Doesn't look it in this pic but in some areas there was a boat load. Add to that the jam in the centre and it out sugared me in the last quarter šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Everybody has a Tequila story..šŸ¤Ŗ
Here's mine. Not very exciting, but as they say, "It's Five O'Clock somewhere"
25 years ago I was sent on an "Executive Teamwork Course" to Mexico. 6am and we were on a bus to Toluca, 2,600 mts above sea level. But it didn't stop there; we headed towards the mountains and kept going until we reach the encampment, at 3,200 mts.
Off the bus and, just walking to our rooms was exhausting. We immediately went for a meeting with the Director of the program, who'd been up Everest twice... Blah, blah, blah, the altitude, there's only one way to fix it...
and at 9am, we were downing tequila.
After a couple, I actually felt better!

today was opening day at the new Aldi 'just around the corner'

of course . . . the shelves were fully stocked . . . the fresh produce was impressive - much nicer that the Aldi across town . . .
we'll see how it holds up.

I did note that brand name items were definitely cheaper than Giant / Weis.
the 'store brand(s)' cheaper, of course, but one has to give it a try. not all store brand(s) are 'just as good as a Xerox'

the 'store brand(s)' cheaper, of course, but one has to give it a try. not all store brand(s) are 'just as good as a Xerox'
Thatā€™s true, we just found that out with and ALDI substitute - their cheez-it knockoffs. Theyā€™re horrible! No cheese taste and a weird chemical aftertaste to boot.

Most of their stuff we like, though. Far more hits than misses.

Back
Top Bottom