The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:05 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1685.JPG

I'm not in the habit of making desserts, and when I do I typically want them to be healthy. Despite some big adjustments, this is still far from a healthy dish. But wow, is it tasty.

I started with the recipe by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, and replaced the regular Ritz crackers with reduduced fat Ritz crackers, condensed milk with fat free condensed milk, and the 2 cups of heavy cream with 1 cup of fat free half-and-half (I didn't think it would set if I had the same amount of the thinner, lighter dairy). I had enough to make 2 medium-sized pie tins. Cutting each into 8ths yielded this:

Lime Cracker Pie Nutrition.JPG

The "10 minute" part refers to how long it takes to assemble. You will still need to let it chill for at least 2 hours to set the ingredients. The first image here is what it looked like before I put it away to set. I will cut a cross-section so you can see what the layers look like.

Ingredients

28 ounces Fat Free Condensed Milk
1 cup Fat Free Half-and-Half (or 1/2 cup each of heavy cream and skim milkO
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon lime zest, plus more for finishing
85 Reduced Fat Ritz Crackers (about 3 sleeves)

Directions

1. Mix condensed milk with half-and-half in a bowl; whisk together, but make sure that the heavier condensed milk is scraped off the bottom of the bowl. Whisk lime zest into mixture.

IMG_1683.JPG

2. Add lime juice gradually to mixture while constantly whisking; dumping it in all at once risks curdling.

3. Pour 1 cup of mixture into the bottom of a large, deep pie tin or casserole pan, or 2 medium-sized pie tins. Add a single layer of crackers to the bottom. Break up some crackers into pieces to fill the gaps, but leave as many as possible whole.

IMG_1684.JPG

4. Spread a second layer of 1 cup of mixture over the top of the crackers, then add another layer of crackers. Repeat with 1 more layer of mixture and 1 more layer of crackers.

5. Spread remaining mixture over the top, smoothing out with spatula. Zest some more lime on the top.

6. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set and allow the liquid to permeate the crackers.

Neat recipe. I am pretty certain that fat-free condensed milk doesn't exist in the UK, though. I will have a search...

Neat recipe. I am pretty certain that fat-free condensed milk doesn't exist in the UK, though. I will have a search...
As it turns out, there's a very small difference between fat free condensed milk (110 calories/ounce) and regular condensed milk (125 calories/ounce). I was surprised that this change might have had the smallest impact to the total nutritional value.

As it turns out, there's a very small difference between fat free condensed milk (110 calories/ounce) and regular condensed milk (125 calories/ounce). I was surprised that this change might have had the smallest impact to the total nutritional value.

I suppose its all the sugar which makes up the calories. I had a cousin when I was a kid who was addicted to condensed milk sandwiches (not a nice concept!). Why his Mum and Dad let him eat them I don't know - but he was a very, very fat boy!

I think graham crackers instead of ritz would make it more like a key lime pie. And i love key lime pie...waiting for my key lime tree to give me more limes.

I suppose its all the sugar which makes up the calories. I had a cousin when I was a kid who was addicted to condensed milk sandwiches (not a nice concept!). Why his Mum and Dad let him eat them I don't know - but he was a very, very fat boy!

I used to babysit a little boy whose mother had me pour condensed milk on a slice of white bread, then toast it in the oven. Freddy was a chunky little boy!

On another note, we watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen that used saltines crackers for the crust, like you'd use graham crackers, etc. I was thinking of trying that next time I make a Key Lime or lemon pie.

Back
Top Bottom