A filleting knife please?

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
12:37 PM
I tried preparing and filleting fish a couple of years ago, not very successfully, so I thought I'd try it again
Last time I didn't have a filleting knife, so I've been Surfing t'Net and there are loads to choose from

I don't want to buy a top end model at £50 or more, but I do want a well moulded/shaped handle so I've been looking at - SWIBO 16cm at about £22

I have some Wusthof Grand Prix 11 knives which are obviously very good, and I like the cranked handle, but the filleting knife is over £60
Wusthof make a budget model which has a flat blade instead of forged, but has a similarly shaped handle - Wusthof Silverpoint 16cm at about £21, and that is also a possibility

Any comments or other recommendations, please?

I've been watching loads of YouTube videos on filleting fish, and probably like most experts on YT they make it look so simple, but I'm sure it's not as easy as it looks, so any advice would be appreciated

I’ve been using this one from Robert Welch for about 3 years and I find it excellent. I can’t remember what it cost but I think it was quite reasonable. Filleting fish is not difficult but it is better being taught hands on.

My preferred fillet knives are Forschner by Victorinox. Most of them I have are reground and sharpened, that I bought for $4.50 at a bait and tackle shop. They had a whole barrel full of them. They are semi flexible and work great.

Back
Top Bottom