A month without groceries?

I could go 2 months without buying meat. Theres enough in my freezers to last that long. Weve been making a conscious effort to make room for a whole sheep ( lamb) arriving at xmas.
But we need milk and booze.
Summer here we could prolly last a month as our garden is full of stuff.
But I need booze and milk.

Russ

I'd be okay as far as booze and milk, since I can't have booze and a 1/2 gallon carton of milk will easily last me a month.

CD

I'd be okay as far as booze and milk, since I can't have booze and a 1/2 gallon carton of milk will easily last me a month.

CD
Similar here. Morphine & alcohol don't mix well and the house is a dairy free home, so both would last indefinitely... well I might give in and make a salt free cheese for the chooks, which they love, but they never evolved to eat dairy, so it gives them the runs and my chooks have lots and lots of feathers which means washing them all afterwards and if you think washing a kid is hard, try a chicken that's 5kg dry and not interested in getting out of the water. Oddly they like warm water once they are in it, it's soothing, so the battle is getting them out not in... but just like a cat or dog, they can flap those wings and soak everyone and everything before you know it.

I've never heard of people washing live chickens :wink:
There's a first time for everything, I guess
You bet.
All birds going before a judge for showing at washed and dried beforehand. And I do have showbird quality chooks.

Plus if a chook needs to be cleaned for any reason, its a bath for them. 2 rescues I got a few years back were in an awful condition when I got them. Simply caked in dried mud. The poor things didn't stand a chance of getting themselves clean and a boys in that condition will die very quickly if caught in the rain. They are naturally water repellent, but not when caked in mud. And if you wash them, you have to dry them. It is the only reason I own a hair dryer!
If their backside is caked in shit from say a bad tummy, they can end up with something called fly strike. I'm put the description behind a spoiler because it's not nice.
Fly strike is where blowflies, or bluebottles lay eggs that hatch into maggots that then eat their way into the flesh of the animal concerned (this affects all farm animals and wildlife as well, not just chickens) and literally eats the animal from the inside out, alive. Once in the animal, there is little chance of saving it. So avoiding it is essential.
So chooks with a dirty backside need it cleaning to prevent them from dying a painful death. And if you wash something that has a mass of feathers, you'll need to dry it to prevent hypothermia (heatwaves are about the only exception if it happens in the morning and the chook is dry by the time it goes to roost).

Back
Top Bottom