A 'new' trend for naming dogs

Cody and MJ

Our late canine was named Cartman, from South Park.

View attachment 84464

View attachment 84465

It has been a rough week. We had to put our lab down unexpectedly on TUE. I am a mess. He was only 6. He developed an autoimmune disorder that attacked the muscles in his jaw and head.

It was devastating to out family. I am tearing up simply typing this.

It has been a rough week. We had to put our lab down unexpectedly on TUE. I am a mess. He was only 6. He developed an autoimmune disorder that attacked the muscles in his jaw and head.

Sorry detroitdad it’s always so hard to lose a loved pet. I feel for you 🤗

Our son had to put his lab down about 2 years ago. About 14? Same cancer as your dog. R.i.p Hogan.

Russ

detroitdad - very sorry for what you’re all going through right now. We’ve had two dogs pass on us; one unexpectedly at 8yo and one at 19yo, and it’s a terrible thing to go through. They’re not like family, they are family.

Keep those good memories close, get a nice montage of photos together to hang up in a special place, know that that horribly difficult decision was a gift you gave to stop unnecessary suffering, and most of all, be thankful you all shared some much too short time together.

I’m thinking of you and wiping my own tears. Take care.

On the dog name subject. My mom's dog (who now lives with me) is named Trixie, which I hate.

CD

detroitdad - very sorry for what you’re all going through right now. We’ve had two dogs pass on us; one unexpectedly at 8yo and one at 19yo, and it’s a terrible thing to go through. They’re not like family, they are family.

Keep those good memories close, get a nice montage of photos together to hang up in a special place, know that that horribly difficult decision was a gift you gave to stop unnecessary suffering, and most of all, be thankful you all shared some much too short time together.

I’m thinking of you and wiping my own tears. Take care.

This is the fourth home dog I have put down. Then two more in the military. It gets harder every time

On the dog name subject. My mom's dog (who now lives with me) is named Trixie, which I hate.

CD

That’s possibly because it‘s awful 😜

I’d have to change it. I’d go for T-Rex 😂

It’s not difficult to do in a painless way.
Just pick a new name and say it after her current name every time you call her. After a week or so use the second name and reward her for recognising it.
Some dogs pick up on it immediately some take a little longer. If they seem a little slow on the uptake alternate between using both names and just the one.

For certain dog’s really couldn‘t care less what the label word is as long as it leads to affection and reward.

One of my dogs had three nicknames and he recognised all of them even though we only ever called him to us using his real name, the other three were supposed to be code so he didn’t know we were talking about him, he did 😆 and he was the dumbest dog I ever owned.

If it makes you feel any better my Grandmother had a pekingese called ‘Mimi’ and my mum named our cat Tallulah 🙄

For certain dog’s really couldn‘t care less what the label word is as long as it leads to affection and reward.

I'm focused on getting her weight down. She's a fatty. Too much "affection and reward" in the form of food and treats.

BTW, my mom got Casey for me as a rescue dog. I went to get her, and my mom had named her...

Mom: Her name is Fancy.
Me: No... it isn't.
Mom: But look at her, she looks like a "Fancy."
Me: I am never, ever going to have a dog named Fancy. Her name is Casey. Get used to it.

CD

One of my dogs had three nicknames and he recognised all of them even though we only ever called him to us using his real name, the other three were supposed to be code so he didn’t know we were talking about him, he did 😆 and he was the dumbest dog I ever owned.
My dog's called "Igor". We took him in when some friends left for Spain and didn't know what to do with him. "Igor" is the Spanish version of "EE-Awhh"; the donkey in Winnie the Pooh".
We've tried calling "IGOR!!!" , but most times he responds to " OI! DOG!!!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm focused on getting her weight down. She's a fatty. Too much "affection and reward" in the form of food and treats.

BTW, my mom got Casey for me as a rescue dog. I went to get her, and my mom had named her...

Mom: Her name is Fancy.
Me: No... it isn't.
Mom: But look at her, she looks like a "Fancy."
Me: I am never, ever going to have a dog named Fancy. Her name is Casey. Get used to it.

CD

A basic error in many peoples dog training and weight control is they fail to reduce the main meal to compensate for the calories taken on in the form of training treats. It’s the overall calorie count that matters.
It‘s also not commonly understood that dogs work harder the smaller the treat is, and I’m talking tiny.

For agility training I use a treat that is 0.5cm X 1cm which I cut into six. These tiny dots of treats keep the animal interested and keen for the next dot. Not many calories but highly effective, particularly when used with a clicker. Of the five dogs I’ve trained not one failed to respond well to this, even the one with behavioural issues.
Not that I’m suggesting you don’t know this stuff, I just spent a long ol’ time immersed in dog training and showing and you see a lot of easily corrected things.

Shame she arrived chubby but hey moving in with you has probably saved her from a miserable obese end!

Fancy? Really? Oh dear and I thought Tallulah was bad, you win 😆
Although when my Grandmother had Mimi my Aunty also had a Pekingese called Fifi, yep Mimi and Fifi and they were awful bitey little buggers t’boot!

My dog's called "Igor". We took him in when some friends left for Spain and didn't know what to do with him. "Igor" is the Spanish version of "EE-Awhh"; the donkey in Winnie the Pooh".
We've tried calling "IGOR!!!" , but most times he responds to " OI! DOG!!!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I forgot about ”Dog” all of mine respond to that one 😂
“DOGS down to the kitchen” and off they trot racing to get there, or my favourite “DOGS out for wees n poos” and off they merrily race until they arrive in the kitchen and remember it’s bedtime, happens everyday 😆

My pedigree German shepherd was so strong willed the girl that owned her have her to me. She couldn't control her. The first thing I did was buy a choker chain. And took her to obedience school. Within a month she was under control. 1 of her pups was bought by a policeman. She made the front page news as the youngest dog to qualify for police dog work.
I had coppers coming to my house for years wanting a pedigree pup.
Neighbour must have thought I was a bad bugger.

Russ

Current dogs names:
Sherlock (his brother Darwin got killed by a python when he was a pup)
BB, stands for Baby Boy, Black Boy or whatever you want it to be. Full name BB Hoover the first. He loves to eat :wink:
Totty, got him when he was 5, so I didn't name him.

I've also had Guinness, Jackal and Whiskey.

(And Hagår, Mushi and Ben, but I didn't name them)

Back
Top Bottom