Air fryer cooking

This morning's experimentation with the gigantic black beast produced two failures. I prepped the hash browns and formed them on the cutting board. I normally form them in the skillet. Then I couldn't figure out how to get it into the basket so I gave up and cooked it in a skillet as I normally do. The second one wasn't so much a failure as a slight disappointment.
platanos.jpg

Fruit makes a great breakfast dessert. The image shows platanos maduros (fried ripe plantain) cooked in the black beast. I used 360 degrees F for 10 minutes at medium wattage. It was a guess. I wasn't happy with the look of them and I prefer the taste when I saute them in a skillet. So I slathered them with strawberry syrup to nail down their role as a dessert. I enjoyed them so it wasn't really a failure. Perhaps someone can guide me toward better settings. You all cook plantains in your air fryers, don't you? :)

Last edited:
This is 9 minutes @270F in the air fryer:

IMG_7485.jpeg

Next, it’ll be 8.5 minutes - not sure if you can tell, but some of that white is just barely cooked, still wet, so the fine-tuning will set in shortly, adjusting time in a cold-water bath, etc.

Ok, this will be the latest thing to get under the skin of some folks - my sister just bought a new oven. It’s a conventional/convection (fan) oven, such as has been sold here for years and years. You can use it with the fan off or on, depending on your preference.

But…hold on…the sales material doesn’t say it’s a conventional/convection oven…due to the popularity of air fryers, it now is marketed as a conventional oven “with built-in air fryer capability!”

:laugh:

This is 8.5 minutes, but no cold water bath, so it actually cooked further than the 9 minute one with the bath:

View attachment 109938

Next one with be 8.5 minute with cold water bath.

Now i've probably cooked many things with the air fryer, but never hard-boiled eggs. I've always cooked them in a pot of water. I also use the immersible egg timer to make sure that they are not under or overcooked.
Egg Timer..jpg

Last edited:
Ok, this will be the latest thing to get under the skin of some folks - my sister just bought a new oven. It’s a conventional/convection (fan) oven, such as has been sold here for years and years. You can use it with the fan off or on, depending on your preference.

But…hold on…the sales material doesn’t say it’s a conventional/convection oven…due to the popularity of air fryers, it now is marketed as a conventional oven “with built-in air fryer capability!”

:laugh:
My kitchen range has a convection mode as well. So I have big convection oven and, now, a smaller one.

We've been using ours a lot during the week as it's good for cutting down on kitchen mess. Although it is a good tool it is by no means a fryer of any kind, nor does it produce anything close to deep fried foods..
For sure. It is a small convection oven. Air fryer is a marketing term, not a description of what the product does.

TR, I finally had a few chances to cook some yukon golds in the air fryer. Amazing. I understand your enthusiasm.

Something new from the air fryer:
My internet is so, so slow, that I read the words above and had to wait about a minute for the picture to come on screen.
I seriously thought, for a second "OMG, Tasty is being comical and he's going to show us some air":hyper:
Then the mushrooms appeared, thank goodness!

I did some broccoli in the AF yesterday. Tossed with a bit of EVOO and seasoned with S&P first, then in at 200 for about 8 mins with a turn in the middle. Came out nice and crunchy and soft in the middle.

IMG_4963.jpg

No pic, but another task I’m moving to the air fryer…quick chicken tenderloins.

I had some tenderloins to use up, so I tossed them in a little oil and some seasoning…10 minutes in the air fryer, tossed/turned halfway through, and they were perfect - juicy and flavorful.

Back
Top Bottom