Anthony Bourdain

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:55 PM
US celebrity chef and television personality Anthony Bourdain has been found dead in his hotel room, aged 61, of a suspected suicide, CNN reports.

This is so shocking! I see an outpouring of reactions from chefs.

I recall thinking recently that he could live forever...he was in phenomenal condition for someone his age (better than I am by a long shot, despite me being 6 years younger). And, he had the greatest job in the world: traveling the globe, trying different foods and cultures.

I was just thinking about him when I was chopping garlic a few days ago. I recall that he had very specific thoughts on garlic, and I'm always reminded of those thoughts when I feel tempted to use my garlic press. Here's what he had to say in an excerpt from his book:

“Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please treat your garlic with respect. Sliver it for pasta, like you saw in Goodfellas; don’t burn it. Smash it, with the flat of your knife blade if you like, but don’t put it through a press. I don’t know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain’t garlic. And try roasting garlic. It gets mellower and sweeter if you roast it whole, still on the clove, to be squeezed out later when it’s soft and brown. Nothing will permeate your food more irrevocably and irreparably than burnt or rancid garlic. Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screw-top jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don’t deserve to eat garlic.”

Last edited:
It just goes to show that fame and a full life means nothing when you have demons :(

This is so shocking! I see an outpouring of reactions from chefs.

I recall thinking recently that he could live forever...he was in phenomenal condition for someone his age (better than I am by a long shot, despite me being 6 years younger). And, he had the greatest job in the world: traveling the globe, trying different foods and cultures.

I was just thinking about him when I was chopping garlic a few days ago. I recall that he had very specific thoughts on garlic, and I'm always reminded of those thoughts when I feel tempted to use my garlic press. Here's what he had to say in an excerpt from his book:

“Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please treat your garlic with respect. Sliver it for pasta, like you saw in Goodfellas; don’t burn it. Smash it, with the flat of your knife blade if you like, but don’t put it through a press. I don’t know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain’t garlic. And try roasting garlic. It gets mellower and sweeter if you roast it whole, still on the clove, to be squeezed out later when it’s soft and brown. Nothing will permeate your food more irrevocably and irreparably than burnt or rancid garlic. Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screw-top jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don’t deserve to eat garlic.”
Brilliant!

First and foremost a highly talented chef. His "Les Halles Cookbook" is essential reading for anyone looking to elevate their cooking skills and turn out decent quality French bistro fare. My afternoon was spent trawling YouTube for episodes of his old shows whilst polishing off a bottle of claret.

Last night was a bit of a Bourdain tribute night at our house. Youngest son and a friend were staying, so we cooked steak frites followed by chocolate and hazelnut tart (both Les Halles dishes), washed down by a few more bottles of claret. I'd like to think he would have approved.

I'm slightly embarrassed at how sad I feel about the death of a man I've never met and only "knew" through his writing, tv programmes and Instagram account. I felt as if I was travelling the world with him, and he was so god damn cool. So much love for the food and countries he was visiting. A real food hero for me.

I'm slightly embarrassed at how sad I feel about the death of a man I've never met and only "knew" through his writing, tv programmes and Instagram account. I felt as if I was travelling the world with him, and he was so god damn cool. So much love for the food and countries he was visiting. A real food hero for me.

Don't feel embarrassed, it is perfectly natural to feel sad about someone you follow on his travels :hug:

No need to feel embarrassed at all - I think it sums up the passions he evoked in many people.

Back
Top Bottom