Anyone else use a solar oven?

Momma9

Veteran
Local time
2:39 AM
I love my solar oven! It cooks kind of like a slow cooker, but it browns a little too. I have baked in it, fried in it, roasted meats and veggies, made soups, chili, beans, cornbread, cookies, etc.

It only works on a sunny day and not in the wind, but otherwise it is great! You can only use dark pans. I use my cast iron skillet, black enameled tin pots, and blue enameled cast iron. It came with a stackable pot so you can cook 2 things at once. I have dehydrated fruits/veggies in it too!

I have never used a solar oven before, but this would definitely be a power saver. And it seems to work just as good as a normal electric oven too, just a bit slower. This kind of oven would be well suited for this time of year since we are getting mostly sunny days here now. Lots of people seem to be opting for solar generated items these days.

Not enough sun over here for one. Used one in '95(the year the roads were melting), a relative brought one back with them.

A solar oven sounds like a really cool idea. We get plenty of hot, hot sunshine in the summer here and I bet it would work like a charm. ALso, with the summer coming up a solar oven would be a way to cook some foods outside that should cook in the oven. This is precisely why we barbecue so much. I was just talking to my roommate about solar ovens and he said you can make your own with a metal box and pans that reflect the sun...Did you make yours? I do not know where to find a "metal box."

A solar oven sounds like a really cool idea. We get plenty of hot, hot sunshine in the summer here and I bet it would work like a charm. ALso, with the summer coming up a solar oven would be a way to cook some foods outside that should cook in the oven. This is precisely why we barbecue so much. I was just talking to my roommate about solar ovens and he said you can make your own with a metal box and pans that reflect the sun...Did you make yours? I do not know where to find a "metal box."
Line a cardboard box with a few layers of tinfoil, shiny side out. Metal base plate given the same treatment(fewer layers required though).
Pay particular attention to overlapping the seams.

I bought mine @kgord. I'm not sure how a tinfoil box would work. The process shouldn't reflect then sun, but absorb it. There are lots of tutorials on youtube, but I decided to take the easy way and buy one.

Mine is metal, insulated, and all black with a clear glass lid that seals pretty tightly. You need the black to absorb the warmth from the sun. You must use black or dark cookware too. It doesn't have to be warm outside either. It works almost as well in the winter. Mine does have shiny 'wings' that direct more sun into the black oven. Due to this, you cannot use it when it is windy or it will blow over!

Back
Top Bottom