Anyone Save Bacon Fat

I do not necessarily save the fat, but if I make bacon at breakfast I might use the fat for green beans at dinner. If it's not used in the same day I generally throw it out unless I have other plans for it.

I use bacon to add flavor to my cooking. I love to add a bit of saltiness to most of my dishes and to achieve that I always use bacon. I only use some bits and small pieces of it and I do not add a lot because I am afraid that is too bad for my health. I have some friends who uses bacon drippings I am not sure if that is bacon fat. they use it as their alternative to cooking oil

When I lived with my parents on their farm, they always saved bacon fat and freeze it. When they cook there own homemade bacon they save a jar for the drippings. The frozen fat goes on top of anything being roasted for extra flavor. The drippings we use for regular cooking! It saved her money then and made our food extra tasty. Our bacon was better too since it had no nitrates in it. It was home cured.

My granny used to do that, and I think it's a good useful way to get something out of a product you already have. My concern though is the health aspect of it. As much as I love the taste of bacon I know it's not the best for me, and same goes with the bacon grease.

I don't use bacon fat for anything, but I imagine it would be good dripped over green beans or greens. That is something that never occurred to me to do actually. However, bacon is not the healthiest meat to begin with, and saving the fat from it..and using that probably wouldn't be too great. I mean you are just adding grease to your food, but maybe a small amount wouldn't be too bad.

Never thought of saving bacon fat although I have fried eggs in the same pan as the bacon. We always save duck fat though. A tin of confit de canard (duck thighs cooked in duck fat) yields a large quantity of duck fat that we save for roasting potatoes or even confit cooking other pieces of meat.

I don't really save bacon fat for another day. But I would use a little bit for unseasoned potatoes or string beans while cooking bacon. Instead of keeping bacon fat, I like storing beef fat for when I cook onions.

We grill bacon too but the fat is mixed with a little lard and birdseed and poured into a coconut shell then hung out for the birds in winter

I like the sound of that. I'd totally forgotten about using it for the birds. I've got a couple of small containers in the refrigerator filled with bacon fat, and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them. I'll probably do this, since I have been feeding the birds on the balcony. I keep a suet cage down on the line in the yard, but haven't filled it in a while.

I do not necessarily save the fat, but if I make bacon at breakfast I might use the fat for green beans at dinner. If it's not used in the same day I generally throw it out unless I have other plans for it.

My grandmother used to do that. It did taste good, but I have to think it's terrible healthwise.

I don't save it. I can't be bothered with the mess. In fact, I rarely make "real" bacon and usually just buy turkey bacon. Much less fat.

I don't save it. But I also remeber that my gradmother used to save the oil...clean it, make it completely white (not sure how) and then she used to make some delicious bakery with that oil. Almost like today's croissants, but much tastier and smaller.

Back
Top Bottom