Australian Food!

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
10:22 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Having grown up in Australia, but now living overseas by virtue of the fact that my husband isn't Australian, I often get asked "what sort of foods are typical or traditional in Australia?"

lamingtons.jpg

Lamingtons are popular - they're basically sponge cake with a chocolate coating, and then dipped in coconut. Sometimes they'll have a layer of jam or cream inside - extra yummy!

14031_l.jpg

Pavlova is another Aussie staple - although there's a hard fought rivalry with New Zealand about where it really originates from! It's a meringue base and you can vary what you put on top - but fresh fruit is a big favourite with most people.

Meat-Pie.jpg

Savoury meat pies are one thing I really miss! Delicious flaky pastry and then a ground meat filling that's usually accompanied by a gravy. You need to serve it with Tomato sauce for the true Aussie experience!

1360871787_anzac_biscuits.jpg

ANZAC biscuits are another household staple. They're biscuits (cookies to the Americans!) made with rolled oats and golden syrup.

Those are the main traditional foods I can think of off the top of my head. And of course Vegemite, but that's another story entirely!

Back
Top Bottom