Baby Food

sixxup

Veteran
Local time
4:13 PM
Is it advisable to give babies only sugary foods? My kid cannot eat any food that is not sugary. Should I continue adding sugar to her food?

I only have a 7 month old but I don't add sugar to anything. She has a preference for sweet tastes (fruits are her favorite), but I try and mix in veggies and things like that in with the fruits so that she gets the nutrition from non-sweet things.

But adding sugar I always thought was a no-no...I think you can achieve sweetness just by using fruits.

I don't think it is a good idea to make your baby get used to sweet food. Although I have no scientific basis but tradition would say that the child can develop juvenile diabetes. It is better to make the baby get used to bland (but not so bland) taste of food so that when you feed your baby with real food, the baby will savor it with delight. When we were babies, my mother would cook beef stew and the broth is mixed in boiled potatoes that she would feed us. We grew up in that baby food because my mother couldn't afford Cerelac.

No, children, and adults really, should avoid added sugar to the very best of their ability. Added sugar doesn't do anything good for the body. It promotes inflammation, leads to insulin resistance and blood sugar problems. The earlier a person stats consuming large amounts of sweets, the sooner these problems will show up and the worse they will likely be.

Is it advisable to give babies only sugary foods? My kid cannot eat any food that is not sugary. Should I continue adding sugar to her food?
You really should never ever add sugar to baby food. Apart from anything else, it can rot their teeth! Babies naturally prefer sweeter tastes because breast milk is naturally sweet. The best foods to start with are naturally fairly sweet foods such as banana, fruit puree etc. Pureed carrots are good and so is avocado. If you leave out the sugar she will not starve herself! No baby has been ever known to do this unless they are ill and unable to eat.

When I made baby food for my two boys I never added sugar to baby food. Babies will prefer sweeter flavours so when I started making my own purees I started with fruits. I would say not to add sugar to baby foods as this will only develop that need for sweet and not savory foods.

Hi Sixxup. You say your kid CANNOT eat any food that is not sugary? I am a little confuse. Can't she or is it that she doesn't like things that are not sugary? Without Googling this I would think you'd avoid sugar like the plague unless there is something we are missing. I think you'd do well to take the advice of the other posters. I am sure she is 'sweet' enough without the added sugar.:)

Back
Top Bottom