Recipe Baghrir with almond butter filling

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:35 AM
The original pancake recipe came from Mymoroccanfood.com but I thinned it out a bit to make the pancakes more crepe-like so I could spread a filling on and fold. I added a chocolate drizzle, but lost the picture unfortunately. They were just slightly sweet and made an excellent dessert.
2018-08-11 20.42.18.jpg

Pancake/crepe batter

250 gr of semolina flour
4 tablespoons plain flour (40 gr)
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 heaped teaspoon active dry yeast
½ teaspoon salt
600-700 ml warm water, more if needed to thin to crepe batter consistency
2 teaspoons baking powder

Filling
1/2 cup almond butter, room temperature
4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
4 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp orange water

In a blender or small food processor, mix the semolina flour, flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder and salt. Add 600 mL warm water and blend until there are no lumps and the batter is smooth and without lumps. Allow the batter to sit for 30 minutes so the yeast can proof, then blend again for a few seconds right before using. Add additional water a little at a time if too thick for crepe batter.

For the filling, mix all ingredients together and set aside.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Wait for the pan to be very hot to start cooking the pancakes, otherwise you won’t get many holes. Drizzle pan with some vegetable oil and wipe with a folded paper towel to distribute evenly. Place abut 1/3 cup of batter in pan and tilt to spread the batter around like you would for a crepe. Leave the pancake until it dries out on top and is golden brown on bottom.. As soon as you place the batter on the pan, the batter should start bubbling and drying out. Once the baghrir is no longer wet (it takes about a minute), it will mean that it is cooked. The baghrirs are cooked only on one side. Never flip them while cooking them as you will loose the holes. Repeat until you've used all the batter.

As each crepe is done, spread it with about 2 Tbsp of the filling and fold in half. Drizzle with chocolate ice cream topping if desired.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom