Recipe Baked Semolina Gnocchi

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:02 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK - Another for the semolina challenge, but I have to confess that this one has me intrigued.

I have combined 2 recipes and made mine dairy-free quite easily, so I may well add it to the list of meals for this coming week because I have some coconut oil cheese in the fridge and it looks like a nice addition to what I'm cooking already. This is something that can be made ahead of schedule, by up to several days and kept in the fridge, covered until needed. Just stop at the stage before baking in the oven.

Inspired by Roman-style semolina gnocchi (gnocchi alla Romana) (http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/roman-style-semolina-gnocchi-gnocchi-alla-romana) and by Semolina Gnocchi (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/semolina-gnocchi-354890)

Ingredients
2 eggs
150g semolina
generous punch freshly grated nutmeg
500ml dairy free milk (or normal cow's milk)
100g grated tasty coconut oil cheese ( or a dairy one such as gruyere, comte or a strong cheddar (such as Tickler))
25-50ml olive oil/vegan butter (or 50g unsalted butter)
50g grated vegan parmesan (or normal)

Method
  1. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and lightly grease unless it is the type that does not require greasing.
  2. Beat the eggs and the semolina in a saucepan until well combined
  3. Gradually stir in the milk & grated nutmeg, mixing well, until you have a smooth batter, adding in the first lot of cheese at the end.
  4. slowly heat the batter up, stirring constantly, until you have a very thick, almost set, batter. You are aiming that for a something that will set solid.
  5. Pour the thick batter into the baking tray and level off with a wet spatula or hands as needed. Press it down into the corners. You want an even distribution so that all of the gnocchi are the same thickness. Now set aside for several hours and allow to cool. It is at this stage that the gnocchi can be covered and stored in a fridge for a couple of days until needed.
  6. Preheat an hoven to 200C, 400F or Gas Mark 6. Using the 1/3rd of the oil/butter grease the bottom and sides of an oven proof dish.
  7. Turn the set gnocchi mixture out of the baking tray and carefully remove the greaseproof paper. Now using either a biscuit cutter or a knife, cut the gnocchi into equal sized pieces of roughly 4-5cm in diameter or width.
  8. Arrange the gnocchi in the ovenproof dish so that they overlap slightly, and drizzle the remaining oil (or the butter melted) over the top of the gnocchi, then sprinkle over the grated parmesan/vegan alternative and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden.
I'll add some photos if I make it later on this week

Back
Top Bottom