Banana Ketchup

I was planning to try making spicy banana ketchup for the Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Bananas and Plantain. I believe @Lullabelle tried some at a cheese tasting a while back, which was likely this brand. So in the interests of research I bought a bottle to try - intending perhaps to copy-cat it or improve on it. Anyway, I had a taste and I think its horrible! I'll eat almost anything spicy and this ketchup is certainly quite hot from chilli although not excessively so - but somehow, combined with the banana taste it just doesn't work - at least for me. It seems to me that banana overpowers the ketchup and has taken on that almost 'varnish' aroma that you can get if you use too many bananas in a cake or something.

Maybe its just me. If anyone would in the UK wants to try it I'll post them the bottle. I only tried a teaspoonful.

View attachment 20653

Talking of which, it is cheese club tonight :hyper:

The ketchup has been sent to @Cherry Kirschenbaum! I hope she like it better than I did...

Apologies for my late, late reply, had a really manic week so have been offline for a while. I can now confirm I received the banana ketchup on the 26th, which was also my birthday so it made for a fine present, impeccable timing @morning glory ! :bravo:

Thanks again for posting it! I must say I rather enjoyed it. The combination of banana + chili in a condiment sounded quite unconvincing to me to be fair, but the sweetness of the banana and the spicy kick of the chili were well balanced for my taste, as I can't handle too much spice. I actually offered it as a dip at my birthday gathering and quite few people were intrigued by it. They did comment that the banana flavour is a bit overpowering and it could do with a bit more spice.

Apologies for my late, late reply, had a really manic week so have been offline for a while. I can now confirm I received the banana ketchup on the 26th, which was also my birthday so it made for a fine present, impeccable timing @morning glory ! :bravo:

Thanks again for posting it! I must say I rather enjoyed it. The combination of banana + chili in a condiment sounded quite unconvincing to me to be fair, but the sweetness of the banana and the spicy kick of the chili were well balanced for my taste, as I can't handle too much spice. I actually offered it as a dip at my birthday gathering and quite few people were intrigued by it. They did comment that the banana flavour is a bit overpowering and it could do with a bit more spice.

I'm so glad it arrived safely - obviously I didn't know it was your birthday (it was mine too on the 29th) so a belated Happy Birthday. I'm glad you put it to good use. I tend to agree with your guests comments - too much banana.

I'm so glad it arrived safely - obviously I didn't know it was your birthday (it was mine too on the 29th) so a belated Happy Birthday. I'm glad you put it to good use. I tend to agree with your guests comments - too much banana.

Happy belated birthday to you too!! I am quite happy eating all my banana ketchup on my own :happy:

Back
Top Bottom