Recipe Basque San Jorge Wild Mushrooms & Eggs (Revuelto de Perrtxikos)

Francesca

Local time
10:27 PM
In the valleys of Alava, The Eastern part of the Basque Country, Perretxikos, or Saint George wild mushrooms are a best kept secret delicacy .. San Jorge Setas, wild mushrooms (setas = wild mushrooms) are classified as a jewel of un-cultivated mushrooms and often they are served with scarmbled eggs .. Here is a very simple récipe which can be used with all local mushrooms varieties ..

Revuelto de Perretxikos ( Saint George Mushrooms with Scrambled Eggs ) ..

500 Grams of wild uncultivated mushrooms of availability
4 cloves of lavender garlic or black garlic
4 eggs ( for 2 people )
4 tablsps. Extra virgin Spanish Bio Olive Oil
1 tablsp. French Butter
Salt
Minced fresh parsley
Freshly ground black pepper

1) Peel and mince the garlic ultra finely.
2) Thoroughly wash the mushrooms and slice off the bottom of the stems, not the whole stem ..
3) Place the Evoo and butter in a large skillet or sauté pan.
4) Sauté the garlic until just lightly lightly Golden and add the sliced mushrooms and season with salt, black pepper and minced fresh parsley.
5) On a slow low flame, sauté the mushrooms slowly and gently.
6) Now, crack the eggs in a large bowl and add a pinch of salt and 1 grind of black pepper .. Whisk or fork blend lightly ..
7) Sauté the eggs separately in a tablsp or 2 of Evoo and French butter, and with a wooden spatula, stir the eggs and obtain a light scramble to your taste ..
8) Keep eggs moist and do not overcook and add to the plates. Serve with the mushrooms ..
9) DRAIN the mushrooms thoroughly prior to serving ..

Crusty rusty country bread and a glass of red wine from the Álava región are a wonderful pair ..

*** Note: One may sauté their eggs with the mushrooms however, I prefer not as if there are leftover mushrooms I prefer to not have the eggs combined for safe keeping to use in another dish ..

NOTE: Substitute: Boletus Eduli .. or Porcini ( Portabello ) ..

Last edited:
I'm sure this is very delicious! I was curious about what type of mushrooms these are so a bit of research - assuming we are talking about the same thing Calocybe gambosa, they can be foraged in the UK. They take their name from the time they appear which is around St Georges day. They look like this:

Calocybe_gambosa_080420wa.jpg

finding-and-identifying-st-georges-mushrooms-calocybe-gambosa-tutorial-8.jpg

I'm sure this is very delicious! I was curious about what type of mushrooms these are so a bit of research - assuming we are talking about the same thing Calocybe gambosa, they can be foraged in the UK.
I also did some research and found this:

https://www.thespruce.com/varieties-of-wild-mushrooms-in-spain-3083060

The top 5 such mushrooms are (with notes from the site):
  • Boleto del Pino or Boletus - The flesh is compact and has a sweet flavor.
  • Níscalo - also known as the Red Pine mushroom
  • Seta de Cardo - called "field eryngo" in English
  • Champiñón de Campo
  • Senderilla or Carreria - It is popularly cooked with lamb, or mixed with eggs.
It will be hard for me to find any of these, but I will give it a try. @Francesca: please indicate which one you are referring to, or if maybe there's some range of options with the mushroom? I am happy that you use black garlic here: I've seen it, but never used it myself, so there's a first time for everything.

• Champiñón de Campo
  • Senderilla or Carreria - It is popularly cooked with lamb, or mixed with eggs.
It will be hard for me to find any of these, but I will give it a try. @Francesca: please indicate which one you are referring to, or if maybe there's some range of options with the mushroom? I am happy that you use black garlic here: I've seen it, but never used it myself, so there's a first time for everything.

I'm pretty sure its none of the above but Calocybe gambosa also known as perretxiko according to Wiki (and the latter name is in the recipe title):

It is also popular in Northern Spain and Southern France, in the Basque Country region and its surroundings where it is called perretxiko and appears in April. In these regions it is usually eaten sautéed with egg or with bacon.

I'm pretty sure its none of the above but Calocybe gambosa also known as perretxiko according to Wiki (and the latter name is in the recipe title)
I'm sure you're right. And, as it turns out, we don't have that kind of mushroom anywhere on this side of the pond. I'm currently looking for equivalents. Every one of them that I search for, I get results that include mushroom hunters trying to find elusive types of mushroom. And, these are people who specialize in that sort of thing. I will keep trying to find if I can find something equivalent: I suspect that 99% of my effort will be in finding the right mushroom and 1% in executing the recipe.

I'm sure this is very delicious! I was curious about what type of mushrooms these are so a bit of research - assuming we are talking about the same thing Calocybe gambosa, they can be foraged in the UK. They take their name from the time they appear which is around St Georges day. They look like this:

View attachment 11452

View attachment 11453

@morning glory

Thank you for the lovely photographs .. Pleased to know that they can be found in England ..

• Champiñón de Campo

@The Late Night Gourmet

On a personal note, this is subjective however, I would go with Boletus Eduli or Portabello ..

There are thousands of Spanish wild mushrooms so it is complicated as each has their distinct texture & flavor .. Some are too meaty for scambled eggs and pair better with meat or just alone sautéed in Evoo with garlic, salt and fresh parsley as a common tapa ..

Go with the Boletus .. or Portabello .. Fresh not dry ..

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet

On a personal note, this is subjective however, I would go with Boletus Eduli ..

There are thousands of Spanish wild mushrooms so it is complicated as each has their distinct texture & flavor .. Some are too meaty for scambled eggs and pair better with meat or just alone sautéed in Evoo with garlic, salt and fresh parsley as a common tapa ..

Go with the Boletus ..
Ah-ha...those are porcini mushrooms. I can get those! :)

Photo By: Francesca Guillamet ..

These are Níscalos .. They are extraordinarily meaty and should not be used with scrambled eggs ..

They work amazingly well with Meat or Game or as a tapa just sautéed in Evoo with garlic, salt and fresh minced parsley ..

francesasetas10743166_403016723179007_266132237_o.jpg

@Francesca I :love: wild mushrooms and use them frequently. Unfortunately I am not always able to find fresh. Even dried mushrooms can be difficult to find - especially the ones I like best - morels, porcini, chanterelles. Your recipe is amazing!

Photo By: Francesca Guillamet ..

The Center Mushrooms are Chanterelles and are extraordinarily light and are also a possibly in this récipe however, I highly suggest that Chanterelles be used as a tapa sauteed with just Evoo and garlic, fresh minced parsley and salt .. They do not have enough empowerment to work with scrambled eggs that well ..

MUSHROOMSWILDMAKRO2014-01-27 13.13.14.jpg

@Francesca I :love: wild mushrooms and use them frequently. Unfortunately I am not always able to find fresh. Even dried mushrooms can be difficult to find - especially the ones I like best - morels, porcini, chanterelles. Your recipe is amazing!

@ElizabethB

You could use dried Porcini or Portabello .. These would work wonderfully with scrambled eggs ..

Yes, I am aware that it is quite difficult to obtain un-cultivated mushrooms in your location ..

This is mushroom season, so I think you should be able to find portabello fresh non cultivated ..

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom