Bean & Spam Soup
Makes about 12-14 cups of soup

Ingredients
1 12 oz can lower sodium SPAM, diced
2 TB grapeseed oil
2 celery ribs, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 bell pepper, diced (because that's how much I had on hand)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dry ground mustard
1 pound dried Great Northern beans, rinsed and picked over
8 cups water
2 tsp ham base
2 bay leaves
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the diced SPAM and sauté until some browning occurs, about 5-7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and set aside (in the fridge is a good idea, though you probably can't hurt SPAM).

Add the diced vegetables (except the garlic) to the Dutch oven, reduce the heat to medium, and sauté until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the ground mustard and the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds or so.

Add the beans, water, ham base, and bay leaves and bring to the boil. As the soup is heating, give it a good stir to fully incorporate the ham base. Season with freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to simmering, cover, and let cook until the beans are softened, about 3 hours.

Uncover, stir in the reserved SPAM, and simmer long enough to heat the SPAM through, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve.

Recipe based on...none - this is a TR original

Recipe based on...none - this is a TR original

:ohmy: But .... er... you never create things from scratch. Do you think the CookingBites creative urge has bitten you (at last)

I like the use of those big beans (which look like what we call butter beans in the UK) with the little chunks of Spam.

:ohmy: But .... er... you never create things from scratch. Do you think the CookingBites creative urge has bitten you (at last)

I like the use of those big beans (which look like what we call butter beans in the UK) with the little chunks of Spam.
I can only give one emoticon, but I both like and laugh with your response.

As to the creativity bug…awww, that’s just a basic soup - broth, some veg, some meat. I mainly just had some stuff to get rid of.

I have to soak the beans the night before to reduce the gas in the stomach:dance:

Try this. Dump your beans in boiling water, and take the water off the heat. Let it cool down then sit overnight. That is supposed to remove the maximum amount of gassiness. I read about that, and tried it. It seemed to work well.

CD

I bought some Maple Spam the other day, but haven't opened it yet to taste it. But there's a recipe on the back of it for a Breakfast Bowl. :unsure:
Maple Spam..jpg

Back
Top Bottom