Beans go with...

Discussion in 'Rice, Pasta, Pulses and Grains' started by morning glory, Jun 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

I was thinking today that beans seem to go with almost anything. I'm talking savoury but no doubt there are sweet applications. Is there anything they don't go with? They seem to be the most versatile of ingredients, dried or fresh. What do you put beans with?

2. morning glory

Baked beans on toast is a British favourite. Do our American friends eat beans on toast or is it a Brit thing? Do you eat this in New Zealand @rascal? Or in Australia @Frizz1974, @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

rascal likes this.
  3. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member

Baked beans exist here in the form of Heinz. It is possible to purchase the English flavouring of Heinz Baked Beans and an Australian version which has less sugar in it and which I actually prefer. My UK preferred version was Weight Watchers but that is only available here in the smallest of impractical tins at $$s Beans and Cheese on toast was a favourite when I could have a limited amount of dairy still. I have to drop the cheese now, but switch it out for an egg. Its a great quick meal.

As to what beans don't go with. I can't think of much tbh. I have desserts, cakes and things like chocolate brownies that use black beans (or for that matter any bean) and plenty of pates that use any white bean. There are recipes on here for both I do believe.

morning glory likes this.
  4. morning glory

That is a treat!

5. morning glory

I am thinking maybe beans and seafood aren't best friends. Can anyone think of a dish containing both?

buckytom likes this.
  6. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

Red beans and rice. Black beans with Cuban food and leftovers make great re-fried beans. BBQ beans for most any BBQ meats. Cassoulet.

7. buckytom

buckytom Über Member

Shrimp (or other seafood) Mofongo can contain rice, beans, plantains, and fish.

8. morning glory

I'd never heard of that...

9. rascal

rascal Senior Member

Yup, we love baked beans on toast here as well, but we love it with 2 poached eggs on top. Lotsa pepper and lotsa butter on the toast. I also will eat a whole can cold if I get the munchies at midnight,lol. It's a kiwi thing and we have prolly once a week? Actually maybe I might have now for my brekky?

Russ

10. morning glory

Its a UK thing too. After all they are cooked and ready to eat, cold or hot!

rascal likes this.
  11. Elawin

Elawin Über Member

Baked beans and toast for breakfast, never on toast - I can't stand soggy toast. I sometimes have them for lunch too, with a couple of eggs, or for dinner with sausages or bacon etc. Dried and soaked or canned beans get used in soups, stews, middle eastern food, or curries.

rascal likes this.
  12. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

Beans on toast for breakfast, probably three or four times a week. It's on my 'to do' list to have a go at making them from scratch and cut Heinz out of the equation.

Elawin likes this.
  13. morning glory

That is a lot! I think its really easy to make them but I doubt you will get them to taste exactly like Heinz. Boston baked bean recipes will give you something similar and, in my view, tastier.

14. Frizz1974

Frizz1974 Senior Member

Canned baked beans in tomato sauce are a cheap nutritious staple for low income families here in Aus. Aldi has them for 69c.

Jaffles with beans & cheese. Delicious

I make a slow cooker version with a ham hock, tomato, onion, garlic, maple syrup or treacle, smoked paprika, a tiny bit of cumin.

With an egg on top it’s a fab low carb dish.

My recipe started from Jamie in America cookbook

15. morning glory

Had to look this up - toasted sandwiches! Are you saying you put baked beans inside the sandwich?