Beef Jerky

Discussion in 'Meat and Poultry' started by sidevalve, Sep 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sidevalve

sidevalve Senior Member

Anybody got any recipes for beef jerky out there - NOT using a dehydrator/dryer [if we have to buy one of those we might as well just buy the jerky]. Have seen a few recipes on the net involving drying in the oven so planning to give it a try.

2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I can't help but maybe @CraigC would know. I think it can be air dried.

3. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

I've never made jerky or carne seca. I can look in our charcuterie book and see what is recommended.

morning glory likes this.
  4. buckytom

buckytom Über Member

Air drying is very difficult, unless you're in a sunny, hot, dry climate. You run the risk of spoilage.

You can use an oven at a very low setting. I'm not sure if a lot of ovens can get down to around or below 93°C.

I have an Excalibur dehydrator that works well, and is large enough to make a decent batch so the effort isn't annoyingly piecemeal.

Basic recipes are usually salty, and also semi-sweet. Both sugar and salt are preservatives.

I've used soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and just a salty brine as a base.

I'll see if I can find my recipes in a bit.

morning glory likes this.