6 Shiitake mushrooms
4 shallots or small red onions
2 cloves of Garlic
1 tblsp Prepared English mustard
2 Bacon rashers, middle cut
1 Egg, beaten to a wash
Puff pastry

Method

Either fry the fillet steak in very hot oil or butter (60 seconds each side) or sear the steak with a blowlamp until charred on all sides. Allow the steak to rest and cool.

Finely chop the mushrooms, shallots and garlic and stir fry in hot olive oil for about 5 minutes to make the duxelles.

Lay the rashers of bacon on a sheet of clingfilm on a chopping board with a slight overlap. Spread the duxelles over the rashers in an even thickness.

Coat all sides of the steak in the mustard.

Place the steak on the duxelles and use the clingfilm to roll the ingredients. Seal the clingfilm and refrigerate the roll for up to 24 hours.

Roll out the pastry and wrap the steak roll completely. Use egg yolk wash to seal the pastry and then coat the pastry completely.

Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Place the Wellington on a baking tray and bake until brown, turning once.

(Based upon a Gordon Ramsey recipe)

Last edited:
Lovely. Do you know - I never attempted beef Wellington. Probably because a good beef fillet is so expensive and I didn't want to ruin it.

Lovely. Do you know - I never attempted beef Wellington. Probably because a good beef fillet is so expensive and I didn't want to ruin it.

I was also reluctant to risk it but I thought "what can go wrong?". If the duxelles, ham (or in my case bacon) or the pastry is a cock-up, I can just remove the fillet and bin the rest. I ensured that the beef was only seared initially (not cooked) so there should have been little chance of over-cooking it.

I was also reluctant to risk it but I thought "what can go wrong?". If the duxelles, ham (or in my case bacon) or the pastry is a cock-up, I can just remove the fillet and bin the rest. I ensured that the beef was only seared initially (not cooked) so there should have been little chance of over-cooking it.

I think its the over-cooking which worried me. I must have a go.

I have experimented with black pork (Jamie Oliver) Wellington and chicken cordon bleu Wellington. The latter was a little more successful than the former.

Cordon bleu Wellington:

I like the chicken, as well. Jamie Oliver's minced beef version looks so home-y and economical. Reminded me of meatloaf wellington of yesteryear. Form the minced beef mixture in a loaf, bake at about 350 till done (about 45 mins - 1 hour). Drain the fat and wrap in refrigerated pie dough. Brush with egg and bake about another 15 mins. Serve with gravy on the side for ladeling. So many different versions.

The one I make (sons fave meal) has pate in it, I think it's from a book, very time consuming but only on his birthday. Fillet steak here is about $45 a kg, but my butcher friend gets perks, I pay around $20 kg. We have a fillet steak with a garlic sauce I make about once a month.

Russ

The one I make (sons fave meal) has pate in it, I think it's from a book, very time consuming but only on his birthday. Fillet steak here is about $45 a kg, but my butcher friend gets perks, I pay around $20 kg. We have a fillet steak with a garlic sauce I make about once a month.

Russ

Sounds like the original(?} served in restaurants. If I recall, foi gras was sometimes used. Gordon Ramsay has a beautiful pic of his on the web. I've been looking at a few Madeira sauce recipes to go with - just out of curiosity.

Sounds like the original(?} served in restaurants. If I recall, foi gras was sometimes used. Gordon Ramsay has a beautiful pic of his on the web. I've been looking at a few Madeira sauce recipes to go with - just out of curiosity.

Not a fan of gr, so not his recipe.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom