Beginner's Bread Recipe Please

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
9:16 AM
:wave: All,

I am primarily a savory and do not have a lot of baking experience.

It will be 6 months before my husband can have bread, pasta or risotto in small quantities. When he can have those goodies I want to make my own bread.

I am hoping you can give me some advice. I would prefer 100% whole Wheat or Whole Grain, low sugar and a recipe that can be cut for smaller portions or a dough that can be frozen.

I know that is asking for a lot but I am working with some serious dietary restrictions.

With all of the culinary talent on this forum I am really looking forward to your suggestions.

BTW - I do not have a stand mixer or any other specialized bread making equipment. I do have loaf pans.

Thank you.

Elawin - Thank you for the recipe.

Can the dough be divided into smaller portions and frozen for later use? If so, at what point in the process?

I have never baked bread before so I am clueless about the entire process.

Because of my husband's dietary restrictions I do not want to bake large loaves. When he is allowed to eat bread it will be only occasionally and small portions.

I stored the recipe in my favorites list.

:thankyou: again!

Keep those recipes coming.

Elawin - Thank you for the recipe.

Can the dough be divided into smaller portions and frozen for later use? If so, at what point in the process?

I have never baked bread before so I am clueless about the entire process.

Because of my husband's dietary restrictions I do not want to bake large loaves. When he is allowed to eat bread it will be only occasionally and small portions.

I stored the recipe in my favorites list.

:thankyou: again!

Keep those recipes coming.
I bake the loaves or rolls first. They thaw out quite quickly. You could of course always slice the bread and then freeze it. When I make two smaller loaves, one of them lasts me two to three days and stays quite fresh in an airtight container ( a large plastic sweet container), so only one actually gets frozen.

@ElizabethB
I made the dough with the exact ingredients, and made two small loaves out of it. To give you an idea of the crumb, the cut loaf is approx. 2 1/8 inches high where I sliced it.

Classic wholemeal loaf.jpg

Classic wholemeal loaf[2].jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom