Recipe Boiled 'scrambled' eggs

I add almond milk to them for a low calorie (dairy free) alternative. If you buy the unsweetened almond milk it is a fraction of the calories in milk. Just a splash added to two eggs will produce a creamy scramble. And if you do it in a microwave then no saucepan to clean...
I always thought scrambled eggs had milk (or some other liquid in :D). I don't particularly like scrambled eggs, but am intrigued enough to give this a try. If I don't like it this way, somemutt will always eat it :giggle:

I always thought scrambled eggs had milk (or some other liquid in :D). I don't particularly like scrambled eggs, but am intrigued enough to give this a try. If I don't like it this way, somemutt will always eat it :giggle:

What are you trying - the boiled scrambled eggs?

They are mentioned in this article - at least they sound the same: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/11/how-cook-perfect-scrambled-eggs

Poached
Poached-scrambled-eggs-003.jpg

Poached scrambled eggs. Photograph: Felicity Cloake
San Francisco chef Daniel Patterson popped up in the New York Times a few years ago excitedly proclaiming he'd discovered a new way of scrambling eggs, after his environmental-lawyer fiancée banished Teflon-coated pans from the kitchen, and he got sick of scraping egg from the new cast-iron set. He decided to whisk them together, and then poach them as one would a whole egg: "I expected that they would act much as the intact eggs did and bind quickly, but I did not expect them to set into the lightest, most delicate scrambled eggs imaginable," he exclaims breathlessly in the article.

I'm suspicious – how can eggs cooked without fat of any kind redeem themselves into a decent breakfast? – but I give it a try nevertheless, sieving my eggs, as recommended by Daniel's friend Harold McGee, in order to get rid of the wateriest bit of the whites, given they're not fresh from the farm, beating them together, and then pouring them into a whirlpool in a pan of simmering water. I then cover the pan, count to 20, take a deep breath, and drain them into a sieve. The stuff is distressing to the eye; a weird, scrunched up mass of egg which, even when patted dry with kitchen paper and seasoned with copious amounts of melted butter and sea salt, is barely recognisable as the same foodstuff as I've been cooking all week. One for health fiends only.

There is a difference, with or without milk/cream. One is scrambled eggs, the other is buttered eggs. I can't recall which is which though.

I've never really been a fan of scrambled eggs (although I would not leave them if they were on the plate). As some of you have noticed, I generally prefer my yolk runny (notwithstanding that I experiment with hard boiled eggs in some curries and snacks, e.g.).

View attachment 10697
Now, that has got me thinking. I often add an extra yolk to the mix, especially if the yolks aren't very dark - I hate pale, insipid scrambled eggs. I wonder what would happen if the yolk were added near the end of the cooking process. Scrambled egg with runny yolk. My mission for Saturday breakfast!

There is a difference, with or without milk/cream. One is scrambled eggs, the other is buttered eggs. I can't recall which is which though.
I had a look in some of my cookery books earlier. All the instructions (hardly recipes) for scrambling eggs have milk or cream in them.

Back
Top Bottom