Bomba Napulitano.

Saranak

Local time
9:11 AM
Ciao,
I am new however, I intend to share as much of Napulitano cuisine as I can with you all.
This is a family tradition and is made during birthdays, anniversaries and the such, it is labour intensive and comes expensive but it is well worth the effort.
You will need a Terracotta pot however, a large heavy bottomed pan will work.
This will serve 8 - 10.

Ingredients
1 kilo minced steak,
1kilo minced lamb,
8 - 10 Piccolo tomatoes,
1.5 kilo Mozzarella,
Fresh Oregano about a teaspoon,
Fresh Basil, three good leaves should suffice,
Six egg yokes,
100 g bread crumbs,
15 - 20 Sorrentino lemon leaves, you can use vine leaves.
2 litres of quality Passata, if you can make your own all the better,
1 bulb of Garlic Pureed.
Four table spoons of tomato puree,
2 glasses good white wine,
500 g Parmesan,
Small piece of black truffle,
Olive oil,

Method
  1. Put the beef, lamb and Garlic into a pan and fry until it takes on a colour, add the Oregano and finely chopped basil. Add the olive oil and stir. Keep the meat moving. After two minutes add one glass wine and reduce. Set aside. Knead and spread the Mozzarella.
  2. Take the tomatoes and blanche in boiling water, cool and remove the skin, once the tomatoes are cold wrap them with the mozzarella and pin with tooth picks. Add the yokes and breadcrumbs to the meat and stir until everything binds together.
  3. Wrap the meat mixture around the tomato and Mozzarella and set aside in the fridge for an hour or so. Have a glass of vino. Take the lemon leaves (Or vine leaves and soak in warm water until they become soft) Take the balls and wrap them with the leaves, pin again. The balls should be the size of a cricket ball.
  4. Add the Passata to the pot and heat until it is slowly simmering, put the balls in to the passata and leave to simmer for an hour.
  5. Place the balls into a oven dish and then add the puree to the sauce, and again simmer to reduce, add the second glass of wine and again reduce, add very finely sliced truffle. Pour the sauce over, cover with foil and bake in a moderate over for around two hours. The sauce should have a slightly sticky consistency, ten minutes before serving add the Parmesan. And leave to rest. Remove the tooth picks.
  6. This is best served on a bed of Polenta or braised cabbage leaves. Add a good pinch of parsley or fresh Oregano to finish.

The tomato will be soft, sweet and juicy, the Mozzarella will be runny and flow when the balls are cut open.

I hope that you enjoy.

Grazie,

Sarana x

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the recipe which sounds lovely. My biggest issue would be trying to scale this down for two people but I think it could be done.

Question:

Take the tomatoes and blanche in boiling water, cool and remove the skin, once the tomatoes are cold wrap them with the mozzarella

I don't understand how you can wrap mozzarella around a tomato.

Thank you for the recipe which sounds lovely. My biggest issue would be trying to scale this down for two people but I think it could be done.

Question:

I don't understand how you can wrap mozzarella around a tomato.
Morning glory, you require nothing more than room temperature, it becomes quite soft it does break apart however, it is almost impossible to get fresh Mozzarella di bufala it is a lot softer than cows Mozzarella, if in doubt I would suggest putting it between cling film. Warm water and then gently roll. To scale down just divide by the number guests.
Hope that helps

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom