Bone Marrow

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:15 AM
Is there a store bought source for bone marrow? Do you buy leg or rib Bones from the butcher and cross cut them? How can it be used in cooking?

If a source of Bone Marrow exists, would it be more often Beef, than Pork or Lamb?

Mostly beef that I get, and I ask my butcher. Some of the higher end stores have marrow bones ready to grill/roast, but you pay a premium for what was once the butchers scooby snacks.

Usually femur (but any long bone can work), and usually beef (at least in the US) either in tall sections (think a tall ossobuco) or length wise long cuts, about 8 inches long. If you don't see them in the merchandiser, ask the butcher. One should always have a good relationship with their butcher/fish monger/dairy person. If they don't happen to have any, I'm sure they will save some for you if you ask.

I prefer lengthwise cut, topped with buttered panko with some rosemary and maybe pecorino romano, then roasted and finished under the broiler. Served with toasted baguette and some mashed roasted garlic. It's the best bread and butter you'll ever eat.

We have gotten marrow bones at Asian markets. The 2 we go to have band saws and will cut them for you. We also get bones for stock at them. They are a good deal less expensive than a regular grocery. The only down side is that here they quite often don't speak English at all or very little. But a smile and pantomime work wonders!

Our friends dafyd and Sharyn absolutely love bone marrow, mind you sharyns dad was a butcher so I'm sure that influenced her. Our fave restaurant rotherams (since closed, chef drowned ) offered a dish with a big piece of bone with marrow in it. I never ate the marrow so can't comment on taste other than its acquired.?

Russ

Our friends dafyd and Sharyn absolutely love bone marrow, mind you sharyns dad was a butcher so I'm sure that influenced her. Our fave restaurant rotherams (since closed, chef drowned ) offered a dish with a big piece of bone with marrow in it. I never ate the marrow so can't comment on taste other than its acquired.?

Russ
We'd eat the marrow, spread on bread, usually, from a hunk of meat with the bone still in it.

One of my brothers is funny/picky about stuff like that, and when we were kids, my dad caught him giving the marrow to the dog and knocked my brother clear across the room, where he knocked a bunch of empty pop bottles over.

After that, we called him "Bee-Bee," for a while, short for "Bowling Ball," because when that happened, another brother started laughing and said, "Dad treated you just like a bowling ball...STRIKE!" :laugh:

I have seen bones used for Soup Broth and expect that Bone Marrow influences that. I have also picked Bone Marrow out of Bones and eaten it directly, so I have a fair idea how it tastes.

What I have not got a grip on is how it may be used in various Entrees - hence the post.

I have seen bones used for Soup Broth and expect that Bone Marrow influences that. I have also picked Bone Marrow out of Bones and eaten it directly, so I have a fair idea how it tastes.

What I have not got a grip on is how it may be used in various Entrees - hence the post.
I've seen it mostly as a stand alone, with just a few accoutrements. I've seen it in a ravioli on a tasting course, as a "crouton" with a salad again with a tasting course. . .best I can imagine was it was deep frozen, lightly breaded then flash fried. But it's like foie in that it's really rich, melts quickly at heat, a little goes a long way and it's not something to base a whole square meal around, generally. It's God's Butter and a little dab'll do ya.

Back
Top Bottom