Book recommendations, please!

HornedDemoN

Veteran
Local time
4:13 AM
Any fans of books around here? I still can't believe I used to hate reading so much in the past. I think it was because of the fact that they forced us to read things in school that didn't interest me and hence I started associating reading with pain and suffering.

But now that I read things that I genuinely am interested in - oh boy, what a journey, it's one of my biggest hobbies ever. I'm mostly into self-improvement and psychology books, but I'm pretty open minded (in fact, I'm almost done reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead - it's really fascinating).

What are your favorite books?

I read a lot. Thrillers, sci-fi horror. James patterson, Stephen leather etc. Dont do self help or similar though. I buy e-books mostly. I can't remember the last time I bought paperback.

Teach Thissen Tyke, last paperback bought.
Against the wind is one I've read more than once. Japan to Ireland, by bike for a pint of Guinness.

Tends to be non fiction that I read & buy. Sometimes borrowing a copy before I buy my own.

I've been a Stephen KIng fan since the early '70s when I got Carrie through a book club of which I was a member. To me, he is untouchable as an author. His abilities surpass his reputation as a "horror" writer and I particularly recommend his book The Stand. If you don't like scary books (and it's not really that scary), then read his compliation of four novellas Different Seasons which includes Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Remption (there's a movie based on it) and The Body which was made into the movie "Stand by Me".

I can also highly recommend British author Robert Goddard. His books are generally mysteries, sometimes spy related, with great shocking twists. Extremely well written and un-put-down-able.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction although I have been known to, depending on the subject.

I recently found a new author; Chris Pavone who is quite good. His first book is titled The Expats and his second The Accident. I'm looking forward to his third. I just finished a book by a fellow named Joe Hill. It is titled The Heartshaped Box. It fightened me in the first 20 pages. Turns out his real name is Joseph Hillstrom King. That's right, he is Stephen King's son. He isn't bad, but he has a ways to go to step into Daddy's shoes.

I don't know if you're male or female or where you live, but I really like Marian Keyes. She is an Irish writer, and although her books are labeled "chic-lit"; a hateful genre title, her books cover much darker subjects than boy-meets-girl. I highly recommend Rachel's Holiday. Sounds girly? Well, it's not.

Hope I've been helpful.

I just happened to remember an episode of Friends when Joey was reading the Shining and got so scared he had to put the book in the freezer. I wish I had thought of that when I was reading The Shining for the first time. My husband was going to night school and I was all alone in the house. I was terrified. Every small noise made me jump. If I had thought of putting the book in the freezer, it would have calmed my fears.

So if you're reading a scary book, put it in the freezer! Perfect solution.

Back
Top Bottom